Chiropractic - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I started taking DD to a chiropractor when she was ten days old for nursing problems after I'd tried everything else. They had her on an intensive appointment schedule for a few weeks (3x weekly). Then it went to twice a week, once a week, etc. She was going monthly when I got pregnant with DS.

I was on a very intensive schedule, I want to say 3x weekly for two months, then twice a week for another three months. I was on once a week when I got pg and continued that through the pregnancy. I've been taking DS twice a week since he was about two weeks.

I like them and I've felt good about the whole thing but now I've been seeing and hearing things that make me wonder if it's dangerous, or quackery, or what. That subluxations don't exist, and they shouldn't crack you ever, and kids' bones are too soft, and that the maintenance care is a scam.

The pro side makes sense but the anti side does too. I don't know what to believe and I'm freaking out that I'm risking my kids and wasting money. I've spent thousands on this and believe me it's a hardship.

Help?

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 10:17 PM

Full disclosure: I am currently working for a chiropractor, mostly doing billing.  I was a patient in the office that I work in for about 2 years.  The chiropractor I see incorporates a lot of massage into her adjustments, as well use of the activator, and various therapies, including heat/ice, ultrasound, electrostimulation, traction, exercises, etc.  I am only speaking from my experience, and what I have seen in the office.

Please forgive typos etc. as I am exhausted, but wanted to respond.

1) The treatment plan that you outlined is a cookie cutter approach, that increases the chances that the chiropractor will get paid by your insurance company (if you have one).  It is based on guidelines put in place by Medicare, and meant to move patients from passive, acute, doctor reliant treatment, into active, patient reliant maintenance.  Some doctors use the format, and tailor it to your needs.  For others it is just an assembly line.  When they transition you to maintenance care, it is supposed to include nutritional counseling, as well as exercises that will help strengthen, and reduce recurrence of your issue.    If they are not basing their service on how you feel, and working with you to help you take better care of yourself, you might need to find another practitioner.  When I would ask, in the beginning, when I should come back, the doctor I was seeing would tell me to listen to my body, and see how I feel. 

2)  I think the frequency they are seeing your children is WAY too often.  The doctor that I work for says that children are easy to adjust, and in general, their bodies hold it a lot longer.  She has been seeing all of my 5 children, as needed, for the past 2 years.  And they have NEVER, even when they have hurt themselves, needed to go as frequently as your children have.  Heck, even after my 14 month old and I were in a car accident, which I am still recovering from, did she see my child that frequently.  My doctor believes that kids should get examined regularly- but she doesn't charge unless she does an adjustment. She believes that catching things when they are little problems, keeps them from becoming big problems down the road.

3) I know that there is a lot out there that says chiro is quackery, but honestly, it was a night and day difference for me.  Without treatment, I was having a lot of difficulty during my pregnancy due to symphysis pubis dysfunction.  With treatment, I was able to move and do things I could not do otherwise.  If I went too long without treatment, I would have a lot of difficulty getting in and out of bed, in and ot of the car, and forget lifting my leg while I was lying on my side, or going up stairs. It took a while for the SPD to resolve after my baby was born.  Then i had to contend with other issues.  I have problems that stem from old injuries that were not properly managed.  Because of that, I have arthritis, as well as joint pain and achiness, and I am prone to back spasms that used to leave me bedridden for days..  If you aren't feeling noticeably different after treatment, you probably don't need it as often as you are going.  For me, chiro reduces the rock hard tension and pain in my neck.  The adjustment of my sacrum (and thus of my hips) reduces pressure and pain on my knees, and allows me to walk regularly.  It has been some time since my back seized up, and when it does twinge, I go in, get an adjustment and therapy, maybe once, maybe 2 or 3 times, and I am able to function.  I have TMJ issues.  Now when they flare up, I go in and get an adjustment, and even if the joint has been swollen for days, the swelling usually has gone down within 12 hours.  I am no longer reliant on pain relievers and anti-inflammatories.

4) Regarding the neck cracking- I had heard the same thing- that it should never be done, and was dangerous. And I swore up and down that my doctor didn't EVER do it. And then this week, I found out that there is a very limited number of clients (out of the thousands that have come through the office through the years) for whom neck cracking provides the best, most effective relief.  Unlike some chiros, she doesn't do it to everyone, it is not a normal part of an adjustment, but it is a technique in her tool box that she judiciously uses.  I was very concerned about it, when I saw her do it, but she took the time to talk it through with me, and explain why she had chosen that particular course of treatment. 

So the short of it is, it sounds like the practitioner you are using may not be a good fit for you.  

I hope that helps 

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
Old 09-19-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

I do think it's made a difference for me. And they've always based treatment on where I'm feeling pain or tension. And I have exercises to do.

Thank you for your thoughts on the frequency. How often would you say kids should be adjusted if not having symptoms? It's hard for me to guess because they are very adamant that stopping after the symptoms are gone can be detrimental. I don't know how to determine a good schedule if I can't trust my practice.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

Tags
Health Healing
User Tag List