Severe anemia postpartum - help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-20-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone! I gave birth to my newest LO early Tuesday morning. She was born at home unassisted, and we transferred due to excessive bleeding. I started going into shock at the time.

My hemoglobin right after birth was 7.5. At I think 24hrs postpartum it had dropped to 6.3. They had me on iron orally 3x day but I'm not sure how much. Ferrous sulfate. They debated back and forth about whether or not to give me blood or not.. My midwife wanted to, her attending OB didn't.

I need to continue supplementing. My prenatal vitamin has 30mg iron chelate in it. Is that enough? It's the rainbow light prenatal. I definitely want to keep taking that... But is it enough iron? If not, what would a good amount of iron to supplement it be? I'm going to see what my midwife says, but I'd love more input as well.

Anyone have any good links to resources re:the differences between the different types of iron?

I was also told in the past to take yellow dock (ihemoglobin was 12 at 28wks) but is that a tea? Pill? Tincture?

I'm nursing, my milk is in, should I be worried about baby's iron intake?

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#2 of 3 Old 09-21-2012, 02:20 AM

Floradix is awesome.  It really does help.  My midwives were going to risk me out if I didn't get my iron back up in a hurry.  It really doDes help.  I still take it when I am feeling run down.  All the B vitamins and Iron really give you what you need and bring back my energy.  I had to get from like 7.5 back up to 10 in a hurry and I really did work. 

It doesn't have the nasty side effects that the Dr. prescribed or OTC supplements have either.  It actually doesn't taste bad if you take it cold.  It is a little pricey, but worth it.

#3 of 3 Old 09-24-2012, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Update for anyone interested or future searchers...

I was readmitted to the hospital the same night I posted this.  Tachycardia, heart palpitations, weakness.

Hemoglobin was 7.3 when I was readmitted.

Received 2 units of blood, got it to 10.2.

Was 8.8 the following morning and discharged.

I'm muchhhh better now.  I'm taking Floradix and my prenatal as well as eating a healthy diet.  I'm so grateful for the blood transfusions.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page