Can a febrile seizure happen as/after the fever "breaks"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-21-2012, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just think my two year old daughter had a febrile seizure.  She was running a fever last night.  She has never really been sick or had much of a fever.  Her temperature got as high as 102.9 last.  I didn't give her anything for it because she didn't seem to be in any distress, not fussy, a little clingy, but drinking and nursing.  Seemed fine.  I had decided to react if it got any higher but it didn't .  

We dozed off and went to sleep when her temperature was down to 101.6. I woke up to her kind of quivering in my back.  She was arching her arms and legs back and quivering.  I am not sure how long this was going on before I woke up, but I am a pretty light sleeper so it couldn't have been but moments.  She started wimpering and crying just a little, kinda scared/startled, but nursed and went back to sleep.  She was pretty disoriented for a minute.  The strange thing is that her temperature when I took it was 98.9 when I measured it after she calmed down.

I am pretty sure that this was a febrile seizure. Now hear me out before you throw me under the delinquent parent bus. I know I coulda/shoulda have gone to the ER, but I don't want to go for them run hours and hours worth of tests to tell me to observe her and send me home.  I am not oppesed to medical care, but I am opposed to unnecessary medical care.  She is unvaccinated also so I am cautious about going because they are probably going to want to run every test under the sun.  

She seems fine.  Comfortable.  Still wanting to nurse, She smiled said night.night and went back to sleep.  I can't see dragging out a comfortable sleeping child out in the middle of the night.  Not worried, the "fit" just seems a little odd after the temperature dropped.  The bed was still hot underneath her so I am guessing that i just dropped faster than her nervous system liked/could handle.  Any input?

#2 of 3 Old 09-23-2012, 08:25 PM

http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/epilepsy_febrile 

I think with febrile seizures, the time to be concerned is when you see a longer seizure; I would start heading to the er at 5 minutes.  Some illnesses like bacterial meningitis can cause febrile seizures and the er is more likely to test for that.  To test for meningitis, it requires a spinal tap.  Probably also do a blood test to rule out other possible illness causing.  I do not think they would test for epilepsy unless, your dd has more seizures.  

Hospital is unnecessary for simple seizure, but I would contact pedi the next day to inform them of her symptoms.

Hope your dd is feeling better.   

#3 of 3 Old 09-25-2012, 09:42 AM

My son was more likely to get a febrile seizure from a low temperature fever than a high one.  Going up to 99 was all it needed.  Then other times he had higher fevers but no seizures.  I brought him to the ER with the first one, but they pretty much sent us home with Tylenol and antibiotics (without even knowing what was wrong) and made the whole thing seem unimportant, so I never brought him in again.  I don't think he's had a fever in a couple years, I hope he grew out of the seizures by now.

Amy, wife of Ben and mommy of Paul (4/9/07), (7/09) and Charlie (5/13/10)

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page