Depression during menstruation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-23-2012, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been super miserable the past week or so, and it is very strange for me to fall into such a horrible, unhappy mood. I have been having lots of depression symptoms - can't go to sleep at night, during the day I don't want to do anything except sleep and mope, no appetite, no sex drive, just general lethargy and unhappiness at life and everything.

I realized it coincided with the beginning of my period, and the same thing happened last month. Now that my period is almost over I suddenly feel amazingly better today. It is a lot of typical PMS symptoms, except it happens more during my period than beforehand. Does this happen to anyone else? 

I have been reading about ways to prevent and cope with it, but when I'm depressed its really hard to motivate myself to do anything so it is sort of a vicious cycle. I already eat well (pretty much no processed foods, practically everything is homemade and lots of produce, etc) but I don't get much exercise and I have been meaning to make a habit of daily exercise anyhow. The other thing that I'm sure doesn't help is that I usually have a couple of alcoholic drinks (1-3 wine, beer, or cocktails) most nights of the week, so instead of doing that my husband and I are going to start drinking tea in the evenings. I don't think my daily cup of coffee bothers me, but I might start drinking tea in the morning too, and during my period trying the dandelion root or special PMS teas. Does anyone have any other ideas or things that work for them? It kind of scares me to suddenly fall into a horribly foul mood, and I'm not the best parent when it happens since I don't feel motivated to be playful and interactive, then that makes me feel guilty and it becomes sort of a downward spiral. I'm thrilled to be feeling better today though and know I should start planning ahead and making some lifestyle changes before next month. 

#2 of 2 Old 09-23-2012, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

If the mood is so severe, or noticeable, it may be worth reading up about PMDD.  (And maybe speaking to your GP?)

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12***16**20***24*** 28***32***36***40

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page