17 mo. old hospitalized w/ severe bronchitis - trying to make sense of this... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-24-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!  DS was hospitalized over the weekend - he was perfectly fine until the middle of the night on Friday, when he started tossing and turning with a lil cough and nasal congestion (nothing big).  Saturday morning he was running around the playground, but a lil sniffly/bit of a cough.  Fast forward to Sunday evening, and he was very weak with a high fever and more coughing, holding his chest and tummy - a little disoriented, crying lots, but advil brought him around to normal.  Finally, by midnight he was taking really rapid, big breaths (labored) and the advil wasn't cutting it feverwise.  He couldn't sleep and began screaming and struggling to breathe (so scary!) so we took him in to the pediatric ER.  He had a fever of 104.2 at check-in (in spite of advil every four hours) and was in really rough shape, poor lil guy. mecry.gif

Anyway, they kept him for about 24 hours and did x-rays (no pneumonia), blood tests (no RSV or microplasma), etc.  He had countless breathing treatments, was on oxygen for a very long time (finally switched to room and did ok), tylenol suppositories for fever, antibiotics (also found an ear infection - he's cutting molars to boot!) and steroids.  He had IV fluids as well as meds, but didn't need them for too long (yaaaay breastfeeding!).  He was so so sick, and we are SOOOO incredibly happy that he is getting well!!! joy.gif  He's at home now, still on steroids and breathing treatments for a few days, but playing and much improved.

I feel like I have whiplash.  Is it normal for a lil one to get this sick this fast?  The doctors seemed surprised that he wasn't a preemie, didn't have any history of respiratory issues, etc.  We do have alot of asthma in my family.  I'm a SAHM, so he's not around a ton of other kids and germs typically.

They never gave us a great diagnosis - just speculated that it was some kind of virus, severe bronchitis, etc.  I'm going to talk it over with our ped at his 18 month visit, but I'm wondering if he might have something else going on?  Or may be more susceptible for some reason?

Also, does anyone have some natural/homeopathic/herbal solutions for boosting his lil respiratory system back up?  Especially with nasty steroids and everything else he's on...

TIA!!

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#2 of 3 Old 09-24-2012, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I wouldn't wait for the nest well child thing to talk to the ped - call, ask if the records from the hospital have been sent over and ask everything. You may have to make a seperate appointment, but the doc should understand why you want to talk, and should be willing to review the case in detail. I'd probably bring up the family history of asthma in that discussion.

Last time I took a sick kid to the ER, it was my then 4 yo DS, who was fine in the morning and tanked fast. He wasn't as sick as yours, but it's my experience that sick kids can get super sick in a hurry. OTOH, they often recover fast.
#3 of 3 Old 09-25-2012, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks, Meepycat!  I think I will give them a call and maybe set up a follow up appointment -  just to make sure his ears look good and don't need any more treatment (he's no longer on antibiotics thank goodness), and to go over what's going on.

I had what I thought was allergy-induced sinusitis right before he got sick, and now DH has something similar.  It could be what DS had - but in us, it's mostly just a head cold, no biggie.  DS was playing in a church nursery mid-week, so he could have caught anything there.

The doctors surprise coupled with everyone I know telling me they've never seen a kid get so sick so fast has just made me curious and cautious.

Does anyone know of anything I can do for him to boost his lil respiratory system, now and maybe over the long haul?  Especially going into fall/winter weather.

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page