Do you go to doctors regularly? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-24-2012, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We don't see doctors with any regularity.  We certainly don't do "well checks" or anything of the sort.

If you're like us, do you feel weird about it in parenting circles?

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
We don't but we'll baby visits and annual check-ups aren't such a thIng in Australia. Most people I know see their GP if they're sick and, usually if they vaccinate, take their children to either the GP or child health nurse. Usually they will do a brief check up at those visits - check growth, milestones etc.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 9 Old 09-24-2012, 10:32 PM

I do take my kids to annual well checks just to keep up a relationship with their pediatrician.  They haven't been sick enough to visit the doctor in almost 2 years, so it helps me feel more confident when I have to request referrals from him to know that he knows who we are (he's been our ped. for less than 2 years).

I don't see my own doctor very often either, but I've seen him sporadically for a while, so again, I feel comfortable calling with questions or to talk to a nurse and see if the doc wants me to come in for something I have concerns about.  But I don't think I've actually seen that doc in about 3 years!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 9 Old 09-26-2012, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We do regular checkups with a DO, mainly so that we have something that makes us more "normal."

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#5 of 9 Old 09-28-2012, 07:32 PM

I just made appointments for both my kids to have well-child checks, but the last time my nine year old had one was when he was four and my 3 1/2 year old had one at 17 months.  The receptionist that I made the appt with asked me if we've been out of town.  eyesroll.gif  I know a lot of people who don't bring their kids to the doc unless it's necessary.  So, until now I haven't felt too weird about it.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#6 of 9 Old 09-28-2012, 07:53 PM

We don't go unless we really need to. Most of my mommy friends do about the same I believe so we don't feel weird at all.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#7 of 9 Old 09-29-2012, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I go every couple of years for a check-up (I'm 53).  Ds (age 13) hasn't had a check-up for years.  He hasn't had so much as a cold for over 5 years and we don't vax.

Our doctor makes house calls, if someone has something the office would rather keep contained!!  So, we're lucky in that respect.

Doc came to our house when ds was 4 (he had mumps) and he came to see me several years ago when I had pertussis.  Ah, the joys of an old-fashioned, small town GP! 

#8 of 9 Old 09-30-2012, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My kids go annually just so that if (heaven forbid) one of them lands in a hospital, I have someone in my corner to advocate for them that can say "Yup, I have history with them" but then my ped doesn't think vaxes are even necessary--so it's not really a big deal.  It's literally height, weight, vision screening and any concerns that might have cropped up over the last year (for instance, my 8-1/2yo has these bouts of seeing red that are now starting to be concerning).  We relocated to the midwest from the east coast a little over 2 years ago and my kids are still seeing their east coast ped (we've had to go back "home" annually anyway--so it worked out).

The mommies where I am think it's profoundly weird that we 1) don't see a dr. when the kids are "sick", and 2) don't have a regular dr. here (although even my seriously laid back ped said we should get some kind of relationship going here).  So I try not to talk about it too much and it's not all that hard to be honest.  It came up more when we first moved and people wondered if I'd found drs.

My husband and I used to go to get annual check-ups which consisted of pretty much the same thing.  I have an insulin disorder and he had some other stuff so I felt the need to check in annually.  But again, very low-key doctor who fully "got" that we were active participants in our healthcare.  So I had no issue going to see him annually.  And this came in really handy when we went to get life insurance.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#9 of 9 Old 09-30-2012, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My kids go once a year for a physical. They also see the eye doctor every year or so and visit the dentist twice a year.

Tags
Health Healing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page