Mothering Forum banner

5 year old breathing... weird

949 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Liberty5_3000 
#1 ·
I can't think of a good way to describe what he is doing, but it is driving me crazy! Lately he has been getting episodes of frustration and telling me about how his "yawns" are hurting him. I have no idea what he is talking about, but it really bothers him - it happens maybe once or twice a day for a week or two now. Last night when I was reading to him before bed he kept taking these really deep breathes and lets it out really loud, I asked him why he was doing that and he said it's just his "yawns" and no he couldn't stop he had to do that. He's been doing it all day today too no matter what we are doing and it is hard to listen to. I have the TV on the moment so he's just sitting there, but he is still doing the deep loud, breathing. Can anyone at least help me describe it better so I can look for something helpful? Thanks!

#2 ·
I was curious, so I Googled "need to take deep breaths". It looks like your son isn't alone, but there doesn't seem to be a clear cut cause of this problem. It is suggested that it is linked to stress and anxiety.

And from Google:

Searches related to need to take deep breaths

feel the need to take deep breaths anxiety

need to take deep breaths yawn

feel like i need to take deep breaths all the time

feel the need take deep breaths

can take deep breath

constant need take deep breaths

need to take deep breath frequently

taking deep breaths all the time

#3 ·
Thanks, I couldn't think of what to look up, all my searches were getting me things about pneumonia and such and I knew that was wrong. And the anxiety thing does make sense with him, unfortunately. I hope this isn't going to go on long term now.

#5 ·
I've never paid attention to what Rescue Remedy was for... now that I looked it up, I think I'll to try some on our whole family right now :) I'm going to get some tomorrow.

I heard some things I didn't like about the holistic doctor nearby, so I'm not really interested in taking him to see her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.