sunscreen? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-30-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)

Tell me what you think of sunscreen.

Do the ingredients in it concern you?  

Do you worry about vit. D intake if you avoid the sun or use sunscreen?

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#2 of 4 Old 09-30-2012, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The ingredients DO concern me. I typically use SPF daily on my face in burts bees day creme and when I use sunscreen it's typically Jason spf (which is pretty much at least 3-4 times a week). I will spray bananna boat on myself and my kid before getting burned though, because I recently saw a study (I cant find it right now) that showed where children who are sun burned before the age of 10 are 4 times more likely to get skin cancer. 

Pretty much everyone on my moms side of the family over the age of 50 has skin cancer of some sort. We shade ourselves, wear hats and sleeves, etc, but there is really only so much physical limitation I am willing to do to avoid the sunshine. We live on a farm, we are outside everyday. 

I dont worry about vitamin D because we get plenty of sunshine, and lets face it- people cant both have the argument that sunscreen doesnt block uv rays AND it prevents you from absorbing vitamin D- that is just absurd. 

There is a big, long, sunscreen thread around here somewhere that I spent hours and hours reading one time before making my final "we will be a sunscreen wearing family dammit" decision :) Ill see if I can dig it up. 

Maybe it's not locked and will provide hours of entertainment for some propaganda pushing people who seem to need a lot of attention. 

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 4 Old 09-30-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)

Thanks, AdalinesMama.

Do you wear sunscreen year round?  Do you burn year round?

I only wear sunscreen  in summer, but I am further north than you.  I have only burned June-September.  I am quite pale.

Does winter sun that is too weak to cause sunburn  also cause skin cancer?  It is sad how little I know about this subject.  bag.gif

I am fairly militant about sunscreen use during peak sunlight hours.  I had also heard that burns in childhood increase skin cancer risk.  I am a sun avoider to some extent, though, particularly in summer.  I do not love the heat, and find repeatedly putting on sunscreen a pain.  I do worry about Vit. D a bit. It is an issue where I live due to the long winter. I guess I worry about skin cancer more.  We have started taking a vitamin D supplements this winter.  It turns out it is difficult to get enough vit. D where I live in winter even if I do hang around outside  on sunny days.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#4 of 4 Old 09-30-2012, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, we are in Kentucky, so the hot sun is out for a little longer than Canada. In the summer I wear sunscreen if we go outside for more than 10-15 minutes. Period, everytime. That is probably from April-October. I run super cold, so if it's under 65 degrees, I am pretty much covered up, other than my face. I do wear SPF (that is in my day lotion) all year long on my face. If we are going to be outside all day long in the early spring/late fall I do make sure we all have sunscreen on. In the dead of winter, we are never outside all day long because Im a wuss :)

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page