2 year old with headache and excessive blinking? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-30-2012, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS had a fever of about 101-102 two days ago and pretty much slept/ was lethargic from 4 pm - 7 am the next day, he also was complaining that his head was sore and seemed sensitive to light. Then he woke up and seemed 100% normal...even extra energetic and playful that morning.

He has seemed fine since except he's a bit off emotionally, extra clingy, tired and grumpy at times, and he has been "blinking" a lot and kind of long blinks (if that makes any sense)

Tonight he told us his head was sore again and started crying hard, saying he wanted medicine ( so I gave him tylenol). DH is now putting him to bed.

DH is very concerned and wants me to take him to a dr tomorrow, I'm not sure what to think

I guess the concern is the blinking and he fact he seems to be in real pain from these headaches 2 days in the last 3, never having had a headache before (that i know of)

I know he has his last molars coming in (he's never had ANY issues with previous teeth).

Any thoughts?????

#2 of 5 Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I agree with your dh, take him to see the doctor.  Fevers do sometimes produce headaches, and 102 isn't normally cause for concern.  But the combo of fever, headache and blinking would concern me, especially in a 2 y.o. who can't communicate subtle details.

One thought is he's experiencing a migraine. My dh and dd get migraines, as do many in dh's family. Light sensitivity might explain the blinking, as well as an aura that sometimes precedes/goes along with the headache-  seeing shapes, bright spots or flashes of light, or tunneling.  Dh and dd say the best way to cope without meds is to simply sleep it off (actually, drink something caffeinated, take an Advil and go to sleep), and they say the relief they feel when the headache goes away makes them a little giddy sometimes.

Best of luck! 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#3 of 5 Old 10-08-2012, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

So what's the update??  Did you see a doctor?

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#4 of 5 Old 10-09-2012, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Yup, I took him to the dr to ease Dh's mind...and mine a bit too I suppose. She said he is fine, didn't seem to be anything wrong since he was his usual happy self most of the time. She figured it must have been something he was fighting, a virus or flu.

I'm not convinced that there is nothing wrong, its not something I am worried about being a life and death situation but more something I need to investigate and keep an eye on.

He starts blinking like crazy and looses his temper (big time) at some point every day and I know this conencides with him being over tired or hungry.

The weird thing is how out of no where this seemed to come, ever since he had that fever, he is more tired, grumpy and aggressive.

I know tantrums are normal in 2 year olds but he has never been like this before, I feel like he is always on the brink of a melt down, maybe he feels changes coming (I'm due with #2 in a few days)

I'm just going to try and make sure he has enough food before he needs it and try to get him to nap (really hard these days, he'll only nap in the stroller or car).

Hopefully it will help or this is a phase that will pass

#5 of 5 Old 10-09-2012, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, and he hasnt complained of a headache since that night :)

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page