What herbs for hormonal balancing/PMS? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-04-2012, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What herbs can I take to balance my hormones and help with PMS while breastfeeding?  Ever since my period came back after my last baby was born 15 mo. ago my hormones have been way out of whack and PMS is HORRIBLE!  I am sure it doesn't help that I am OLD (42) *LOL* And FWIW, I do not take birth control and won't.

Namaste!

sheiladarling likes this.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#2 of 6 Old 10-08-2012, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

This thread is a WEALTH of knowledge... and cured my full-on PMDD.  redface.gif

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/993349/life-w-pmdd-severe-pms-support

sheiladarling likes this.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#3 of 6 Old 10-09-2012, 06:03 AM

You will need to cross-check these to make sure they're safe for breastfeeding, but here is a list of herbs that are known to be VERY helpful for PMS: 

• Black cohosh
  • Wild yam
  • Lemon balm
  • Burdock
  • Chasteberry
  • Chromium
  • Don quai
  • Maca

This article has more on herbal relief for PMS: 

Herbal treatments for PMS — feeling good the whole month through

Hope this helps! 

~ Jacqueline
#4 of 6 Old 10-09-2012, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I had a really nasty reaction with Maca only to find out that it's not uncommon just not the norm. In fact, I found a woman that YouTubed about her journey.  Apparently it toyed with the testosterone levels.  For me, it not only made things WORSE, but I got wicked acne at my jaw line (painful) around that time.

I don't have any input on the rest, but I always feel the need to share my Maca experience just because you don't generally hear about them.  It may be fine for you, but if things aren't going well--keep that tucked away for use as needed.  Of course, stopping the Maca ended the problem and it wasn't like it was long before it appeared to be out of my system--so that's a plus.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#5 of 6 Old 10-11-2012, 06:52 AM

It's not an herb but I'm finding a reduction of my symptoms by taking high dose vitamin B every day.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#6 of 6 Old 10-17-2012, 07:20 PM

Location: In the garden of dreams***Tellin myself it's not as hard as it seems***

In my herbal studies and personal experience I have been finding that instead of going for strong "drug-like" herbs to "fix" your hormones, it is much more effective to work on you gastrointestinal tract and liver first, which really help to nourish your endocrine system. Using gentle food-like herbs can really help you nourish all of these areas at once. 

A beautifully nutritive tea blend that is essentially food would be

-dandelion root - 1 part- a great liver ally and helpful for your kidneys as well.

-burdock root - 1 part- wonderful for the liver, skin, hair, you name it. Full of vital nutrients and moistening.

-oatstraw and milky oat tops -2 parts- mildly sweet with nervous system and adrenal nourishing capabilities.

-licorice root - 1/2 part- gently hormone regulating and sweet tasting.

This tea blend should be taken over time and doesn't have to be every day, but a couple cups of the blend a day would be lovely. A cup or two of the blend covered with boiling water in a quart jar and left to sit over night would be divine! Honey to taste can also be added. All of these herbs can be ordered in bulk from www.mountainroseherbs.com. All herbs would be great and gentle on baby too!

Take care and good luck!

Jessie

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page