The Yearly Female Physical - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-10-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I haven't had one since I was 19 (I'm 27 now) and I've only ever been with one sexual partner. I don't seem to have any obvious gynecological issues and I can't really afford an exam anyway... How bad is it that I'm 7 years overdue? I don't think I did too much of that type of testing when I was pregnant with DS, but I'm not sure.

Nearly crunchy mama to one DS born at home 12/09 and married to my best friend one week later signcirc1.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

I don't fully understand all that goes into the pap but I think I would try to get one if I were you (well, I rarely go to the doctor either so I probably WOULDN'T get one - this is one of those do as I say, not as I do moments). lol.gif

You can see if your HB MW (if you had an assisted birth?) does well women care. That can be such a nice way to reconnect with your MW. You could also see about Planned Parenthood - they do well women care on a sliding scale. I went to them when I was without insurance and it was free! 100% free! 

One thing - if you get a clear pap, it is no longer recommended that you go every year. It's every two years now, which I like...since yearly things just come around too fast - every.year. wink1.gif

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 10-12-2012, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

I really didn't know that about planned parenthood. That's awesome!

I would love to go to my midwife if I still lived in Michigan. My midwives were fantastic. I haven't had a need to meet any midwives down here yet. smile.gif

Thank you for the advice!

Nearly crunchy mama to one DS born at home 12/09 and married to my best friend one week later signcirc1.gif

Old 10-12-2012, 07:51 AM

Also consider your local HB MWs and see if they offer Well Woman care. I did that too once. In fact, the only health care provider I've been to in the last 12 years has been a homebirth MW. orngbiggrin.gif  We moved after the birth of my DC as well and I felt I needed to see someone (at about 6 years after the birth of my first child) and just phoned up a local HB MW. She was awesome and it was nice to feel part of that community again, yk? 

Old 10-19-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

So I have medicaid until the end of the month (cost of sharing was exceeded early this month because of DH needing to go to the ER). I called a nearby birthing center and FINALLY set up an appointment! thumb.gif Thank you for the suggestions! If I didn't have the medicaid, I would've called Planned Parenthood. Without insurance, the monthly exam at the birth center would cost $150, which is kinda crappy for us.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:20 PM

Awesome! 

Old 10-20-2012, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The newer recommendation for Paps is that you can get one every three years as long as you've only ever had normal results.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 10-20-2012, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

The newer recommendation for Paps is that you can get one every three years as long as you've only ever had normal results.

Ooohh, that's interesting! I am so way overdue anyhow, but the only two I've had were both normal. That's really nice to know for next time.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:17 AM

Hey, I just went to my HB MW for well woman care and she told me that if I had normal Pap results, I would be good for another 5 years. I just googled it to check and I saw that the recommendation now is every 3-5 years. 

Tags
Health Healing
User Tag List