Things I Learned from My Child's Surgery--What Can You Share Please? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 10-16-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow is all I can say. I can't believe that we just came back from Children's Hospital in Philly and my child is finally in recovery mode...........She has kidney reflux in both kidneys and had a Bi Lateral Ureter Repair Done (both tubes were moved behind her bladder)...But the hard lessons I learned from the get-go.  First, trust your instincts. I thought our first urologist was perfect.....it was a referral from a neighbor who is a nurse.  That didn't work out (long story short, they dropped the ball when she was sick and we ended up in the ER). So...I went with a referral from our pediatrician...thinking that the well known doctor was it...........he was nice, and knowledgeable about her medicaitons...but very old school about the surgery.  On a hunch, we found a surgeon at CHOP who could do the procedure with a robot and semi laprascopiclly  (i can't even begin to explain it)...............Second, do your homework. I'm glad I did alot of research about the procedure and follow up care, but there were still things I missed. Something as simple as not making a big deal of the fact that my daughter is left handed.......well when they put an IV in a kid, they put a 'brace' of sorts on it--almost looks like a soft cast--and she couldn't move her left hand..now that was hard.......Third....label all items you bring to the hospital..........things get lost and you will never find them again............Finally, if the 'food service' brings your child up a tray of food, and he/she is not finished with it, put a BIG note on it that says to leave the food......I can't tell you the number of times her juice (with medication in it) was taken away.......nightmare city! Like I said, it's little things that I just wish I knew before hand.......What have you learned from your child's surgery?

neonalee likes this.

broc1.gif

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page