Do you think people are sicker now than they used to be? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you think people are sicker now than when you were young?
Yes - both children and adult 10 100.00%
yes - adults are sicker 1 20.00%
yes - children are sicker 0 0%
no - people are not sicker 4 80.00%
other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-20-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)

Do you think people are sicker now than they were about 20-30 years ago? Children?  Adults?  Both?

If you think so, any pet theories on why? 

Edited to add a caveat:  I am excluding those over 65 from this.  Medical advances have helped people live longer - but older people do get more illnesses.  A 85 yr old might be sicker now, but might have been dead at 85 had they been born 30 years earlier.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#2 of 12 Old 10-20-2012, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

No, I just think that sick people nowadays are more likely to survive, whereas in the past more people who were sick died.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 12 Old 10-20-2012, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes, I think people have more chronic illnesses than they used to.  Most of my grandparents and great-grandparents lived into their 80s and 90s; there is no way my kids' grandparents will live that long with the conditions they already have.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 12 Old 10-20-2012, 04:17 PM

Yes. I see how sickly my son's friends are and other kids his age... and I don't remember kids being so sickly when I was a kid!

Adults too. Lots of chronic conditions and just aging quicker than they should.

I think it's a combination of things. Environmental, food supply getting really crappy, over medicated, genetics getting wonky, etc. 

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#5 of 12 Old 10-20-2012, 04:25 PM

i think its really a personal thing.  some people are more prone to being sick while others arent.  i frequently got ear infection when i was younger but beyond age 9 ive been pretty healthy barring a yearly cold 

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#6 of 12 Old 10-21-2012, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

I finally voted - and picked "people are sicker."

We have had 2 viruses go through this house since September - one was a doozy.  One child on antibiotics.  I have friends who have kids on antibiotics lately, made emergency room visits, missed days of school…it just seems like more than when I was young.  While this has been a particularly Sicky September, this type of nonsense is not uncommon.  Kids (and not just mine - not even mine in particular) get sick a lot.

My husband also seems to have more colds and the like than I remember my parents getting.  There are numerous people in his office who go to work sick eyesroll.gif

So - more viral infections going around.  I suspect lack of outdoor time, poor sleep habits and bad food at the heart.  

I know there has been a rise in asthma, allergies and auto-immune disorders.  I suspect hyper cleanliness (aka the hygiene theory) plays a role in the upswing of allergies and asthma.  I am also concerned about the amount of plastics and pollution in our environment, although I do not know off the top of my head what they contribute to.  I also think pollution has been around since the industrial revolution, so I am not sure what if any part it plays in recent upswings in ill health.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#7 of 12 Old 10-21-2012, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

What do you mean by "used to be"? Are we comparing our health with that of the 1950s? the 1850s? the Renaissance?

#8 of 12 Old 10-21-2012, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleZB View Post

What do you mean by "used to be"? Are we comparing our health with that of the 1950s? the 1850s? the Renaissance?

Good point - and I edited the OP.

I was thinking about a time in most of our memories - say 20-30 years ago.

#9 of 12 Old 10-21-2012, 07:44 AM

i wonder if people are just overdoing the abx and now their bodies cant just get over stuff without it.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#10 of 12 Old 10-21-2012, 08:41 AM

definitely more sick! especially chronic illnesses.

i agree with several posters above. lack of sunshine/fresh air (newer houses closed up too tight to save electricity), lack of vitamins/minerals in food (due to non-rotation farming and using petroleum-based fertilizers), lack of movement (sitting in front of computers/tvs several hours a day, cuts to PE classes), loss of beneficial gut flora due to changing "food" tastes and overuse of antibiotics, and maybe all of the chemicals that are IN THE WATER (flouride, rocket fuel, etc.).

#11 of 12 Old 10-21-2012, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post

i wonder if people are just overdoing the abx and now their bodies cant just get over stuff without it.

I am sure the abuse of antibiotics have a great deal to do with ill health, as do vaccines and anti-pyretics, which all interfere with the natural immune system which makes healing so much more difficult and results in chronic illness, in some it makes healing insurmountable because the innate healing support system is irrevocably damaged.

Quote:
"Cancer was practically unknown until compulsory vaccination with cowpox vaccine began to be introduced. I have had to deal with at least two hundred cases of cancer, and I never saw a case of cancer in an unvaccinated person." - Dr D W Clark.

Mumps protects against ovarian cancer: vaccine steals the protection.

Quote:

"On the basis of observations by the Vienna surgeon Professor Schmidt, which took place over decades in his practice, studies in the last 100 years have shown consistently that people who experienced childhood diseases accompanied by fever were less likely to supper from cancer in later life." Anita Petek-Dimmer.

Bokonon likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#12 of 12 Old 10-21-2012, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meandk0610 View Post

definitely more sick! especially chronic illnesses.

i agree with several posters above. lack of sunshine/fresh air (newer houses closed up too tight to save electricity), lack of vitamins/minerals in food (due to non-rotation farming and using petroleum-based fertilizers), lack of movement (sitting in front of computers/tvs several hours a day, cuts to PE classes), loss of beneficial gut flora due to changing "food" tastes and overuse of antibiotics, and maybe all of the chemicals that are IN THE WATER (flouride, rocket fuel, etc.).

I agree with the above and would also like to add GMO foods. I am in doubt that we will see even more chronic disease, especially cancer, as a result in the not too distant future.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page