Inhaler for a virus? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-26-2012, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

y husband took my son to the doctor (after about two weeks of on again off again fever and coughs) and came home with a prescription for albuteral and an inhaler to treat a "viral" infection. I have not been able to get through to my doctor to ask questions- does anyone have any thoughts or comments?

#2 of 5 Old 11-01-2012, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

So sorry for the delayed reply.

It sounds like they think your son had pneumonia or the start of it because they would prescribe the Albuterol to open up his lungs.  Pneumonia can be bacterial or viral.  The Albuterol won't kill either of them--just open up the lungs (and potentially stop the coughing).

I'm personally not a fan of this route, but I'm also not a fan of Western medicine.  I'm also REALLY prone to pneumonia and very severe respiratory infection.  

You might want to pose this to one of our MDC "Ask the Experts" forums.  There are a few doctors on there (various types depending on the type you're most comfortable with!) who might be able to give you more natural direction if you're interested.

http://www.mothering.com/community/f/16907/ask-the-experts

I use a Chinese herbal remedy sold in most Whole Foods, Vitamin Shoppe stores and online called "Clear Lungs" by Ridgecrest Herbals.  I know it can be used on children per the label dosing.  On the up side, it doesn't have the side effects that Albuterol has.  On the down side (but also like Albuterol), it's not going to kill the virus or bacteria that is causing the problem--so you could be taking it for a good week or two (multiple times/day) before the actual illness clears.  But it will dry out the liquid building in the lungs.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#3 of 5 Old 11-01-2012, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Hetherdeg….I have a daughter who is prone to pneumonia (age 9).  Any tips, resources, what works for you?

Op - what colour is the inhaler?

I assume you also have a areochamber of some sort for the inhaler?

http://www.aerochambervhc.com/images/index_products_flow-vu.png

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#4 of 5 Old 11-01-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Hetherdeg- thanks for the great leads. When I posted the question, I was freaked out (since I did not have the opportunity to talk to the docotr myself. I went with my gut feeling- did not give the albuteral, but instead gave him lots of acidophilus and regular doses of sambucal. He has been cough free for several days and in good health. I hope we do not see a repeat of this type of infection this year. Thanks to everyone for your comments!

#5 of 5 Old 11-01-2012, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I try to ward off any illness head on.  We have been gluten, dairy, soy & corn free for nearly 8 years.  We don't eat much processed food.  We drink lots of water and if I feel like we're on the verge of something, lots of rest.  My son is also prone to respiratory illness due to an IgA deficiency.  Two weeks before school starts, we start up with Sambucus daily (and he's homeschooled, but still).

I honestly think lots of water and rest are huge.  When a cold starts up, we do a decongestant tea of one bay leaf, three shakes of thyme and 1 Tbl lemon juice (or 1/4 fresh squeezed) steeped in tea-hot water with honey to taste.  Kicks in quick and keeps upper respiratory system cleared.  I move to intensive dosing of the Sambucus and add oscillo.  I used to have Yin Chaio but I have a hard time finding it anymore.  Those work for flu/cold.  If I feel it getting to bronchitis or in the chest, I use the Clear Lungs remedy I detailed above every 4 hours.  And rest.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page