Perforated Eardrum, Stronger Antibiotic? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-02-2012, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My LO had a high fever earlier this week and has been really sick with congestion, a cough, and an ear infection. He is breastfeeding and has been on amoxicillin for three days. Yesterday his ear was leaking a little fluid, and today a lot of yellow stuff came out. He doesn't really have a fever anymore and seems to have less congestion, but the doctor says his ears are not well and he has a perforated eardrum. First time that has happened and I'm so sad!!! 

He is 20 months old and this is about his fourth ear infection, third this year, although one of those healed on its own without antibiotics. 

The doctor prescribed antibiotic ear drops and Cefdinir antibiotic. I already used the drops, but I am TERRIFIED of using a stronger antibiotic, antibiotic resistance, etc. Do I really need to use the Cefdinir? Just dying here not feeling good about it. I kind of think maybe with the drops and staying on amoxicillin things could turn out okay. Is it true that once the eardrum has ruptured and the fluid drained out he feels better and things start to heal up?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 11-05-2012, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Sometimes. I highly recommend a chiropractor to help with the ear infections, and have them culture the urine to find the appropriate abx.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#3 of 3 Old 11-05-2012, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is likely that your doctor is prescribing a stronger antibiotic because the one originally prescribed isn't working. Antibiotic resistance is more driven when you don't knock out the bacteria that is causing the infection.

Tags
Health Healing

User Tag List