2 year old puking - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-04-2012, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD threw up in her sleep last night, and didnt even wake up and complain about it. It seems weird to me, because if she even so much as pees a tiny, tiny bit in her pull up she is usually up screaming bloody murder that she needs to take a bath because she peed on herself. We asked her about it this morning and she said it made her tummy feel better. She'd eaten some queso the night before, and we thought that maybe it didnt set right on her stomach (this kid eats cheese like it's going out of style, but we thought since it was a bit spicy maybe it was the culprit)

We cleaned everything up, got her a bath, and she was acting totally fine. She asked me for hot tea, and I gave her some blueberry tea (which i steep for less than one minute, so its basically blueberry water) with a tiny bit of honey in it. She drank about half a cup and then curled up in DH's lap and puked again. 

AND of course, it's Sunday. It's always Sunday when she gets sick. My pediatrician must think Im a serious PIA because it seems like I call her every weekend. No fever, no change in behavior, says her tummy isnt upset. So, here is my question:

Do I continue to feed/water her even though I know it's going to make her puke? I have some gatorade (and I think even a bottle of pedilyte somewhere). She's wanting milk and cereal and the rest of her tea, and I dont want to make her hungry but I also dont want her to be miserable from puking it up. She did have some water this morning too. I don't want her to get dehydrated. 

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#2 of 3 Old 11-04-2012, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I do give small amounts of water/gatorade but I don't push a lot when the kids are still in the midst of doing lots of throwing up (wait 10 minutes or so, at least).  

Personally, I always prefer ice/popcicles when I'm ill over drinking water so I offer those first, and keep the other stuff (gatorade/water/juice) available.  I'll also take or give baths with epsom salt to help dehydration issues too.  I'd avoid the milk/cereal but give crackers or toast to nibble on.  Applesauce is also good - all things which aren't as hard on you if you're going to get sick and still satisfying.

#3 of 3 Old 11-04-2012, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I do what we do in ED with vomiting kids (and adults actually). Give nothing at all for one hour after they vomit. If they go an hour with no vomiting, start with sips of water ( or another clear fluid if they don't want water). If you can't trust them not to gulp the whole cup just put a mouthful in the cup or use icy poles. Continue to give sips as long as they don't vomit and gradually increase the amount.

If she is desperate for solid food I would give it after about an hour or so of tolerating an increasing amount of fluids but I'd start with one or two mouthfuls and then wait 10-15mins or so.

Anytime she vomits I go back to the fasting for one hour before starting sips again.

I hope she's feeling better soon.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page