Who has eliminated pinworms? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-04-2012, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After reading the 12 page pinworm thread, I'm feeling a bit discouraged. It seems like people keep getting reinfected over and over again. Can you really get rid of them? If so, I would really appreciate hearing your treatment plan and how long you were able to get rid of them for. I need to hear some positive feedback cuz right now, I'm afraid to go around friends and family out of fear that I might infect someone. Here's what I've done thus far if you'd like to critique my course of action.

Used Haan steamer on floors, beds, handles and anything hands frequent especially bathroom - all before dusting & vacuuming so as not to kick up live eggs in air.

Bagged up toys and clothes and will keep unimportant items bagged up until the lifespan of the eggs is over( 2-3 weeks + some)

Doing laundry gently so as not to kick up too many eggs in air

Wearing mask during heavy cleaning and gloves while cleaning bathroom

Washing hands OFTEN and remind others to do so as well as keeping hands away from mouth

Using Vaseline on bum at night (tried coconut oil but we got irritated from it)

Shower in morning

Change sheets every 3 days as directed

Eating pumpkin seeds, pineapple, garlic supplements, occasionally Grapefruit seed extract

About 30 billion multidophilus (probiotic) soloray

Will be starting DE soon a couple days after start of vermox (as recommended in Pinworm Thread)

Dramatically reduced sugar intake as well as processed foods plus I rarely eat wheat and dairy anyways.

Will start eating coconut and I use coconut oil on body

Will start using olive leaf extract (glycerite base) on family and infant as recommended by a holistic practitioner (since there's not much else we can do for our 9mo).

I think that's all that I thought of doing thus far. I've decided not to move things like books or magazine piles so as not to kick anything up. I haven't wiped off every knick nack or random item that we don't frequently tough or disrupt since my attentions are needed more frequently elsewhere like the laundry room. I don't know what else I should do. I'm freaked out over reading stories about pinworm being in other places than in the digestive system. Hair? Body? Really? Most main websites that I've researched don't mention anything about them being able to survive outside the digestive tract. Care to elaborate?

I'd like any other suggestions if you have any. Thanks so much for sharing. And I sure hope to hear some success stories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 11-10-2012, 05:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This has been an ongoing struggle for us. We get rid of them for a few months, and then turn up with them again. I think our diet struggles keep us susceptible, and when we come in contact with a source and get them again. I feel like I never want to visit friends with pets, as it appears to be where we pick them up. We have moved out of a co-housing situation and I am going to get on the ball with our diet and treatment plan. One of the most helpful tools I was able to use in the past was clove oil. It kills the eggs, which I feel is a BIGGY for interrupting the self-reinfecting cycle. I would mix about half a teaspoon with vinegar water in a quart spray bottle and liberally spray EVERY surface in our house. I haven't been able to do this living with family, and I feel that is why we keep struggling.
I was able to eliminate them for about eight months using love oil before coming into contact with infected pets at a friend's house after starting our co-housing adventure. This was also when we were on point with our diet. Worms can only thrive in a hospitable environment, so if you have a bad case you're going to have to look at that also.
I think what you are doing seems pretty thorough, but I would suggest adding clove oil to your plan. It would be especially helpful on those surfaces you aren't able to clear... And it doesn't really kick anything up to spray things down. Your home will smell oppressively of clove if you do, but this the season for spicy scents, right? Maybe add some cinnamon essential oil so it isn't so one note clovey?

Tags
Health Healing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page