Found engorged deer tick on my 6 y.o. son - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
 
teamsalem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I found an engorged deer tick on my 6.5 y.o. son's head last week.  I found it last Saturday (11/3/12), but I think it may have been there a few days.  He is in a homeschool Audubon class on Wednesdays, and I think he may have picked it up then.  But, I'm not certain.  He doesn't have any symptoms yet, and I'm watching the bump everyday for a rash.  My pediatrician told me that she usually waits a week and then tests for lyme.  I was ok with that plan initially, but I have since read that the test is not very reliable.  I decided that I wanted him to have the antibiotics instead.  She refuses to prescribe them yet, and prefers to wait and see what the test says and/or what symptoms he develops.  I'm not sure whether I should go along with what she says or seek out another opinion.  Anyone have experience with this?  I'm also sending the tick to be tested for Lyme, and that will take 1-2 weeks. 


Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

teamsalem is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-11-2012, 05:31 PM
 
loveandgarbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When I found an engorged tick on my kid a few years back I asked for antibiotics right away (and the doctor wanted to prescribe them anyway). I avoid antibiotics at all costs, but IMHO Lyme is not something to mess around with. The scary thing is that most cases will show symptoms, but some will not. I live in an area where Lyme is rampant, so I know people who have it and didn't get it treated right away, and the long term affects are devastating. I don't want to freak you out, but I would definitely get a second opinion! Also if you catch it really early you only take a 10 day course of antibiotics but if you wait for the test to come back and the tick bite was from a month prior or so, you get put on a much much heavier round. Good luck!


Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

loveandgarbage is offline  
Old 11-11-2012, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
 
teamsalem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any idea how early you need to catch it to opt for the 10 day course?  I really would rather do the antibiotics, and my pedi does have a prior history of being overly lax.  I'm going to call her tomorrow and demand the antibiotics.  Not sure what I'll do if she says no. 

 

I just looked at the spot where it bit him.  It didn't look like anything yesterday but today it looks a bit red. 


Mama to DS (7) , DD (5) and DD (2) and expecting a LO in 2/14

teamsalem is online now  
Old 11-11-2012, 06:12 PM
 
loveandgarbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sorry to say I have no idea. I took him into the ped the day I found it, and it had been on him (from my estimate) for about two days. I remember her telling me that because we caught it early she could just do 10 days (instead of 21 I think?). It might be something that varies from doctor to doctor, too.


Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

loveandgarbage is offline  
 

Tags
Health Healing
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off