Possible Pertussis in 11 month and old and 4 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-12-2012, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi. My 11 month old has had a wet junky cough now for about 11 days, and within the last 2 days he has acquired an extremely congested nose. We took him to his pedi today so they could listen to his lungs, and even though they said his lungs are all clear, they still sent us to the lab to get him a nasal swab to test for pertussis. 

They say if it comes back positive, they will want all of us on Zithromax to prevent the spread. The doc said it doesn't stop the illness, but prevents the spread of the illness???

I am so nervous for my children. I don't want to rip up their little guts with antibiotics, but of course I don't want to spread this either. 

Anyone know when you are most contagous with pertussis and if treating the whole family with antibiotics is truly the best course of action?

Also, is the swab 100% accurate? 

Thanks in advance!

FEAR- Emergency Scriptures That Come To Your Rescue During Times Of Fear, Worry, and Anxiety For Your Kindle

#2 of 5 Old 11-12-2012, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Read about Sodium Ascorbate (SA) a form of Vit.C. treatment for Pertussis. I am very impressed with SA.

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you and your family good health.

#3 of 5 Old 11-12-2012, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)

Here is an excellent resource on everything whooping cough which should answer all your questions.

Here is a very comprehensive article on treating it with Vitamin C by Dr Suzanne Humphries, Vitamin C for Whooping Cough. Updated Edition

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#4 of 5 Old 11-12-2012, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you so much for those resources. Am giving SA now. That articles says that pertussis will give you 30 years of immunity....I didn't know this. I suspect my 4 yo had pertussis when he was 2....if I am right about that, does that mean he is immune?

FEAR- Emergency Scriptures That Come To Your Rescue During Times Of Fear, Worry, and Anxiety For Your Kindle

#5 of 5 Old 11-13-2012, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilM View Post

Thank you so much for those resources. Am giving SA now. That articles says that pertussis will give you 30 years of immunity....I didn't know this. I suspect my 4 yo had pertussis when he was 2....if I am right about that, does that mean he is immune?

Quite possible. I (that is me personally) also would not give prophylactic antibiotics to a child that has had a natural pertussis infection.

New research (sorry its only a summary - you have to pay for the full study)

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0264410X12013023

Quote:
"Although immunity after infection seems to persist longer than that after vaccination, the exact mechanism(s) is not known....Our results suggest that there may be difference in quality and quantity of antibodies to after vaccination and after infection."

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page