Natural remedies for BV? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-21-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been quiet a while, very busy with school and all, and the stupid Hurricane Isaac (not Sandy, Isaac!) got the semester off to a bad start. This is relevant I swear! It's like this:

Probably because of severe abuse and head trauma when I was young, I have to take medicine for temporal lobe issues, not seizures, but debilitating migraines with aura that never go away anymore. The medicine works like a dream and gave me my life back - topirimate. So I am going to keep taking it.  however, it does have some nasty side effects at time.

One of the side effects is that it makes it difficult for you to sweat, so you can't take heat very well, and also raises your blood pH. I have to watch out for metabolic acidosis all the time. Well during Isaac we had no electricity for nearly a week and it got VERY hot - I had no way to cool down. So I got pretty sick, and it took me a while to get my system back to normal.

Which leads to the bit with BV. I've had it before but not for a long time, over ten years. So when I started having the annoying symptoms that were *sort of* like a yeast infection but without the tell tale yuckiness, I began to worry. Finally it got bad enough today that I actually went to buy a pH screening kit and sure enough I have a pH between 5.0 and 5.5. (The color was a little hard to tell on the kit.) I don't have medical insurance and I am super busy writing my end of semester theses and the holidays and all and as it is I need to make an emergency appointment just to beg to get my other meds filled at the charity clinic. Besides, I don't want to take antibiotics, they give me yeast infections which seems to be missing the point entirely - as well as messing up my stomach really badly.

Anyway the point of all this rambling is that is there anyway anyone here knows to home treat this problem?  It isn't severe but it is recurring now I think, because of the acidic body problem I may continue having. I have read some stuff about alkaline suppositories, etc, but I'm really unfamiliar with this whole idea. I have very basic first aid type things at home.  I don't really know what's safe to use.  Baking soda?  Alcohol? (ow) Someone please help, this is miserable :(

#2 of 2 Old 11-23-2012, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Eliminating sugar and refined grains will help. I wouldn't suggest baking soda or alcohol, but you can use a peroxide and water douche. You can also eat yogurt that contains active bacteria cultures, like the yobani greek yogurt. Make sure its plain, it takes like sour cream, but it has the good bacteria your vagina needs. If you google BV in the search bar you'll get tons of threads. Also, make sure you're drinking lots of water, eating a balanced diet etc. The more leafy greens (which are alkaline) the better. Try to stay away from foods that make your body acidic. Red meat and dairy do this. There are also charts and stuff you can look up that tell you if a food is acidic or alkaline.

Working from home Mommy. You can too. Ask me how!joy.gif

me loveeyes.gif & she surf.gifpartners.gif  TTC one of these makebabe.gif Proud Mommy to two of these energy.gif

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page