Is the whooping cough/pertussis swab 100% accurate? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-23-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To make a long story short, DS who is 1 yo came down with a cold that went away and then turned into a cough that got REALLY bad at around 2 weeks. Coughing so hard he was throwing up balls of mucous, and even whooping at the end of a coughing bout. At around the 2 week mark he also got a extremely congested in his nose.

We took him to the docs who ordered a nasal swab test for pertussis. The test took 4 days to come back, so in the meantime I upped DSs vitamin C levels and consulted with a Homeopathic Doc who prescribed Spongia Tosta. ... Which worked like magic and instantly relieved the hard coughing bouts.

4 days later the test comes back negative. Anyone know how accurate this test is after full blown symptoms have surfaced? I've never seen anything like what DS was doing, coughing so extremely hard, and the amount of mucous was unbelievable.

We are still dealing with a clear runny nose on and off and an occasional phlegmy cough which leads me to believe it has to be pertussis since it's been 4 weeks and he is not 100% better yet.

FEAR- Emergency Scriptures That Come To Your Rescue During Times Of Fear, Worry, and Anxiety For Your Kindle

#2 of 7 Old 11-25-2012, 10:57 AM

http://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/clinical/diagnostic-testing/diagnosis-confirmation.html

I'm guessing the nasal swab is the culture test?

"Culture

Since culture has excellent specificity, it is particularly useful for confirming pertussis diagnosis when an outbreak is suspected. Many other respiratory pathogens have similar clinical symptoms to pertussis and co-infections do occur.  Furthermore, obtaining isolates from culture allows for strain identification and antimicrobial resistance testing. Identifying which strains of B. pertussis are causing disease is of public health importance. Culture is best done from nasopharyngeal (NP) specimens collected during the first 2 weeks of cough when viable bacteria are still present in the nasopharynx.  After the first 2 weeks, sensitivity is decreased and the risk of false-negatives increases rapidly."

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#3 of 7 Old 11-25-2012, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

We just got a second swab done last night. So, we'll see. We are in week 3 or 4 of symptoms, so I dunno. 

FEAR- Emergency Scriptures That Come To Your Rescue During Times Of Fear, Worry, and Anxiety For Your Kindle

#4 of 7 Old 12-10-2012, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I know this is an old thread but the swab is not accurate in the coughing phase. It is far more accurate in the prodromal phase when it seems like you just have a cold. I think its pretty obvious from the symptoms you have described that it is WC

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 7 Old 12-10-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

I know this is an old thread but the swab is not accurate in the coughing phase. It is far more accurate in the prodromal phase when it seems like you just have a cold. I think its pretty obvious from the symptoms you have described that it is WC

Thanks Marnica. They did a second swab...called a PCR...and that too came out negative, but my goodness......what happened in this household was classic pertussis symptoms. I wish I knew for sure. 

#6 of 7 Old 12-11-2012, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilM View Post

Thanks Marnica. They did a second swab...called a PCR...and that too came out negative, but my goodness......what happened in this household was classic pertussis symptoms. I wish I knew for sure.

I think you do! Of course the second swab was negative a month after onset of coughing!!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#7 of 7 Old 12-11-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

I think you do! Of course the second swab was negative a month after onset of coughing!!

Thank you for the sign of confirmation. :-) His peds said the PCR was some kind of pertussis DNA test and it was really accurate. I kept asking if they would do a blood antibody test, but they said they didn't do that. I am going to have to just go with my gut here and say, yep, it was pertussis. 

One really awesome thing, and I might start a new thread about this, was that a classical homeopath was able to stop the hard cough in it's tracks an pretty much put an end to the illness, except for some phlegm and runny nose. It was amazing and I am so grateful we turned to homeopathy. 

Both my boys got hit again with a second virus after that, so I don't know what that would have been like for the baby if he was still in the throws of pertussis.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page