5yr old's cough won't let her sleep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-15-2012, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last Monday DD5 had a fever for two days along with a nasty cough. We rested heavily both days and also gave her elderberry, Chestal with honey, echinaccea drops in her water and a cherry bark syrup. The fever went away after 2days but the cough won't go away. It's keeping her up at night so much she's exhausted during the day. We bought a Hylands version nighttime cough med which works a little but not enough. We switched to the Taiwan kids cough syrup and are still doing the other remedies. I'm fine with letting the sickness take it's course but need her to be able to sleep. Any ideas to soothe her cough?
#2 of 6 Old 12-16-2012, 09:08 AM

Is it a dry cough or a productive cough?

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#3 of 6 Old 12-16-2012, 11:38 AM

My daughter has a bad cough.  Like your daughter, she did have a fever for a few days, now is left with only the cough which is worse (of course) at night (and outside in the cold).  Two things help her: 1.  a hot water bottle on her chest at night and 2.  a warm mist humidifier (the Vick's one) with the well filled up with eucalyptus oil and that vick's liquid steam medication.  These two things pretty much eliminate her night time cough.  Make sure you place the humidifier as close as safely possible to your daughter.

Mother to 6

12, 11, 9, 6, 3, 1

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

#4 of 6 Old 12-16-2012, 02:44 PM

eucalyptus is greatly helpful in a humidifier. i combine ours with pinon-juniper and lavender. the conifer essential oils are wonderful at helping to heal the respiratory system. lavender helps as an antimicrobial as well as a nervine sedative.

unker's on the soles of the kids feet for nighttime cough can be very helpful.

*if* it's a dry cough, demulcents are crucial, i.e. slippery elm, marshmallow root, licorice, irish moss, and shatavari. sooth the mucous membranes. you could make honey pills with one or more of them. you could make a slippery elm porridge. you could add a small amount of slippery elm to her drinking water. or make a tea with any demulcent you feel drawn to. throat coat tea before bed can be helpful. 

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#5 of 6 Old 12-16-2012, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

It's nit productive at all. Thank you for the suggestions. Definitely a few things I haven't tried. I've done eucalyptus before but it seems to irritate her. I'm wondering if I'm putting too much.
#6 of 6 Old 12-16-2012, 08:40 PM

2 things I really like and seem to help coughs quickly for us adults or my kiddos is an herbal product called ClearLungs, and Oil of Oregano (I have a drop kind for the kids, put a few drops in a little juice as it is a hot oil).

mom of twins.gif boys born 9/13/05 and dog2.gifdog2.gif

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page