Mothering Forum banner

Do I need a tetanus shot???

630 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  erinmattsmom88 
#1 ·
I sustained a superficial puncture wound (finger) a few hours ago via a thorn that was on the ground among the dirt, leaves, etc. at a park near my house. The dog I am dog sitting had just done her business and I was attempting to pick it up. Two grocery bags were covering my hand. As I reached down to pick up the pile, and before I reached the poop, I pricked my finger on a thorn that was on the ground. Considering where it was, I immediately thought that I should get a tetanus shot. It has been 11 years since my last one. I called a local nurse advice line and she seemed more concerned that the area stays clean, etc. The puncture was just enough to bleed, not a trickle, not squirting, but enough to drip off my finger for a minute or two. Tried to squeeze more blood out and it stop bleeding pretty quickly. Walked home and washed the area really well. There is no sign anything happened. My DH is going to be home in an hour and I am trying to decide what to do. I currently do not have health insurance. I called the local urgent care and it will be $50 for the shot. Should I air on the side of caution and get the shot? My intuition tells me yes. Thoughts? Advice?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.