Giving an infant probiotics during antibiotic therapy for primary UTI - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-24-2012, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all,

I'm new to mothering and after scanning many forums and posts, I thought it best to pose my questions specifically and see what information is out there, and to see if anyone else has been in my boat.

As a background, my 7 month old son just began a course of antibiotics - 7 days of q8 cephalexin - for a primary ecoli UTI diagnosed after months of unexplained fevers (typically under 100f) that culminated in what I believe was a septic state - baby looked run down, bags under his eyes, running higher fevers (102f), with fatigue and irritability and fussiness at the breast. He is ebf, unvaxed, uncirced, and just venturing into the world of solids, and seems to have digestive issues (I've excluded dairy from my diet for months after discovering he was sensitive to it).

I'm a pediatric respiratory therapist and work in a children's hospital associated with a major university, but ironically in the last few years I've become more attuned with natural living and use alternative remedies as the mainstay for health (much to my coworkers confusion), so I have the odd position of seeing both sides of the fence, which Only tends to push me harder toward nature (and toward finding a new career smile.gif )

I digress... The problem now is that ive been hesitant to use antibiotic therapy from the start, but honestly was scared to let the UTI run rampant after what seemed like too long a time beig symptomatic. My LO is looking better on day 3 of the abx, but now I am researching the effects of the abx on intestinal flora and would like to start probiotics.

My question is this: will taking the probiotics myself get them to my baby via nursing to deliver the desired effect, or would it be more beneficial to give it to him directly? I just bought a bottle of coconut water based kefir and was hoping this would be okay to give him half way between doses of the abx, but am finding very little information to assist me with making an informed decision.

Any advice would be truly appreciated!

Stephania
#2 of 2 Old 12-27-2012, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 4 yr old som has a gastrointestinal disorder and has been on probiotics since he was 4 weeks old.  This is what we used then until he was two

http://www.klaire.com/prod/proddetail.asp?id=k-tif

then we graduated to the adult formula.

Not sure if this will help you at all but it was fine for my son.

gl,

Brenda

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page