Sudden eczema/face rash from cold weather... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2013, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My little one is 12 months, has never had any skin issues or allergies until now. We went out to run  errands a few nights ago and it was COLD. It was his first time out in under 20 degree weather. Well, that night shortly after being out his skin broke out in a red, bumpy rash in a few places. A couple spots on his forehead and a little on his nose/side of nose/ cheek. It looked better by the next night. I assumed possible food allergy, or contact with my soap, but since it was getting better I figured I'd just keep an eye on it. Well, we went out again when it was bitter and cold and windy, as soon as the wind hit his face he started breaking out again! He was exposed for less than a minute, from the store to the car, and his face looked awful. Still does! Dry, red, bumpy skin all over his forehead and one cheek and down the side of his chin. All on one side of his face! The side the wind hit the worst, I'm assuming?!

It isn't bothering him at all, luckily,  but it looks so angry and I'm not sure what, if anything I should be putting on it. It's started to flake in spots now.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

ETA: Breast milk seemed to make it better at first, but then it got bad again. Coconut oil which I use for everything seemed to make it worse, but maybe it would have gotten worse anyway...

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, upon further searching I found this link for seborrheic dermatitis and it looks EXACTLY like the pic in the upper right corner. http://www.skinsight.com/infant/seborrheicDermatitisPediatric.htm

The upper left picture for contact dermatitis looks about right, too...

http://www.skinsight.com/infant/irritantContactDermatitis.htm

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 01-07-2013, 12:29 AM

I don't live in super cold weather, but when it gets chilly here (in the 30's) my skin starts to freak out too. I have found that sleeping with a cool mist humidifier going seems to help some. 

This is a good blog to check out. Her daughter struggles with eczema and she create the recipe I hyperlinked when store bought stuff wasn't working anymore. 

Working from home Mommy. You can too. Ask me how!joy.gif

me loveeyes.gif & she surf.gifpartners.gif  TTC one of these makebabe.gif Proud Mommy to two of these energy.gif

Old 01-07-2013, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! That recipe looks great. I've had shea butter recommended a few times already and was thinking about trying it, so this looks good!

Old 01-07-2013, 07:46 AM

This happens my kids as well and my son battles chronic eczema in other parts of his body as well. The best thing to do is hydrate the skin before you head outdoors to prevent winter chaffing and hydrate again once you come indoors. If you try shea butter make sure it's raw and unrefined - otherwise all the nutrients are removed. Virgin coconut oil is great as well. We've been using Manuka Honey Skin Cream lately and are just in love with it.

Good luck!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:03 AM

I wouldn't assume allergies. Make sure there is no drool/moisture on his face when he goes out and lube up before going out. My son was pretty reactive to some things in creams...if you see increasing symptoms after using something try switching.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 01-07-2013, 11:17 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I use this http://www.bubbleandbee.com/servlet/the-172/Unscented-100-pct--Organic-Body/Detail (they sell it in 8 oz too) and/or Terressentials pure cocoa butter (for some reason I can't get the site to work now - http://www.terressentials.com/) for my 3 year old who has eczema.  I make sure to cover all exposed skin before heading outside in the winter.  At home, after a bath (warm, but not hot), I slather it on when her skin is still wet to seal in the moisture.  During the summer months, her skin is perfectly smooth and soft, but when the temps drop and the air gets dry, the skin problems come back.  Humidifiers, BTW, do hot help her.

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpggd.giftriadadopt.jpgfamilybed1.gif

Tags
Health Healing
User Tag List