Too much vit c for sick 7 yo - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-09-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure what to do but I feel horrible and am worried. My daughter has the respiratory flu...started Monday night with fever, achy legs, chills, etc. I started giving her vit C. All I had was chewable a that are 1/2 SA and 1/2 ascorbic acid. I gave one every few hours and then nothing overnight since then. I gave her one this morning at around 7:30 and at 10:00 she was having really horrible stomach pains and she had two bouts of bad watery diarrhea. She hasn't pooped for a few day ( she's usually regular), so it's not as if I saw her stool get soft before. Now I'm freaked out. I don't want give her any more, but shouldn't I be easing off the C instead of stopping cold turkey? I feel terrible about it and am worried.
TIA for any thoughts/advice.
ETA: she had stomach pains since starting to get sick, as did her 3yo sister who also has the flu...but got it earlier so is better today. The 3yo hasn't had any diarrhea though. Same dosing.
#2 of 3 Old 01-09-2013, 10:18 AM

I wouldn't worry about giving her too much vitamin c .  The runny stools are  a good sign she has hit bowel tolerance and should start to get better soon - in fact it sounds as if she is getting better.  Regarding the dosage, EVERYONE has a different amount at which tolerance is hit.  I'd probably cut the dosing in 1/2 and maybe do twice a day instead of every few hours.  Just feel it out.

Mother to 6

12, 11, 9, 6, 3, 1

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

#3 of 3 Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for responding! She was just in so much pain and there was so much watery diarrhea that I was worried. Her fever is down from 103 to 101 today, so it makes sense.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page