Troublesome mole... Looking for support while I wait for appointment - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-10-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Right now I'm just looking for emotional support, I think. ...

I've had a pretty small pink/flesh-colored mole on my upper arm for at least all of my adult life. I have a maybe slightly-more-than-average number of moles & skin tags & freckles, as do my mother & maternal grandmother (neither has had skin cancer).

Yesterday I noticed that this particular mole has gotten hard/crusty & dark brown on one side.

I'm freaking out, especially after making the mistake of looking up information on melanoma on the Internet!!

I made an appointment with my dermatologist for Wed. but I can't stop thinking about it. As I got to work this morning I felt like I was on the verge of a full-blown panic attack.

Also, know that I have an abnormal fear of skin cancer. Right when my son was born almost 4 years ago, my neighbor (also a mother of young children) was dying of skin cancer. It was really hard to watch her & her family go through what they did. I suffered at least one severe sunburn when I was a child & have been extremely worried about skin cancer the past few years.

Has anyone been through this waiting game before or have suggestions for coping with waiting. I really want & need to function normally for the next 5+ days but I'm feeling very tight-chested & panicky.

Thank you!

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#2 of 7 Old 01-10-2013, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had similar issues and am actually a melanoma survivor. It is good thst you are getting it looked at but don't panic yet. I had to have surgery and lymph gland removed but no other treatment as it had not spread. That was many years ago and no reoccurance. You might not have melanoma at all but even if it is, it does not always mean things happen like they did for your neighbor. You are doing what you should do, getting it checked out. Take a deep breath, don't look it up any more on the internet until you have real information from your doctor, and relax. The majority of the time these things are either totally benign or easily taken care of by the doctor. You have done everything you can for now. If it would help, you could see if another doctor could get you in sooner orcall the office back and let them know you are anxious and see if they have something sooner or could call you if they have a cancellation. Let us know how things go and take care of yourself.
#3 of 7 Old 01-10-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for responding to my post & sharing some of your own experience. It means a lot to me. And thank you for your level-headed advice - I just called the doc to ask the to call me in case of a cancellation & I'm also swearing to not look at anything else in the Internet. Thank you again.

#4 of 7 Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I had a mole on my neck that doubled in size recently. It was round, raised and flesh colored. Its been there forever, but when it started growing I freaked out a little. My GP said it looked like a healthy mole and that sometimes they grow. She removed it and sent it off, and it was fine. No cancer, just a healthy mole that grew for whatever reason.

ETA: I try not to worry about cancer. I take a medication that increases my risk for cancer. I try to eat lots of greens, and fruits and veggies, and I take turmeric, and green tea capsules daily. Both are potent antioxidants. All you can do is mitigate your risk, and try to be stress free.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#5 of 7 Old 01-11-2013, 10:27 PM

I totally support you! I had a biopsy taken today off my back and there is a questionable patchy spot on my face. I couldn't wrap my brain around a face biopsy, so she gave me acne meds to put on it for a month to see if it goes away. I hope my shallowness isn't going to kill me, and wonder if I should just go back Monday and have her biopsy it then instead of in 4 weeks.
#6 of 7 Old 01-14-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you MountainMama & LilPenguin! MountainMama, I really think you're right about food & stress -- I tried very hard to cook nourishing food this weekend & totally destress... I think I mostly did ok! I'm really working on not worrying & I'm feeling a lot better.

LilPenguin, sorry you are dealing with the prospect of a face biopsy. Hopefully you'll hear back about the other soon & that'll help you decide whether to go back sooner than 4 weeks. And I hope the medication is all it takes! Good luck & I'll be thinking of you!

#7 of 7 Old 01-14-2013, 05:42 PM

Thanks t2009 - I tried to go back today and just get it over with - doc went on vacation! Ah well. I moved my appt up a week. Fingers crossed!

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page