Has anyone healed a cavity naturally? Please share your experiences! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 02-02-2013, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My friend's daughter's front teeth began to rot (I don't know the specific term, but they appear to be rotting - turning brown and getting smaller) at about 18 months.  She read the book you folks keep mentioning, and immediately took her off all grains.  I do not believe she is doing anything else except the avoidance of All Grains.  The rotting, which would visibly get worse every day, stopped within days/weeks.  Or at least slowed to an almost halt.  The dentist refuses to believe it has anything to do with mother's actions, of course.

Same friend's other daughter, now five, had an extra adult tooth coming in behind her baby tooth (yes, extra, there's yet another adult tooth still up there).  Same dentist wanted to knock her out to pull the tooth.  My friend, who is a nurse, did an awful lot of research on general anesthetic on young children, and decided this was not a safe route to go.  She found another dentist who agreed to pull the tooth while she was awake (with a bit of laughing gas).   

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 02-03-2013, 08:50 AM

The idea of eliminating all grains sounds challenging, but worth doing if it will help.  I need help to clarify which foods are and are not grains for the purpose of healing tooth decay.  Would beans, peas, lentils, potatoes be okay?  Some grains I am thinking of that my family eats are rice, quinoa, millet, wheat, oats.  Seems like any bread, pasta, or cracker product would be off the list, yes?  I'm also thinking that one would want to eliminate or greatly reduce sugars/sweeteners also?  Would agave be okay or are there any sweeteners that would be okay?  Dairy and fruit would be okay?

#33 of 45 Old 02-06-2013, 07:40 PM

I am just starting my mission to treat my daughters terrible teeth naturally but wanted to say that for those who tried and had to resort to the conventional.... there is a new method of drilling that uses a lazar instead of a drill and is painless. My daughter (at 3.5yrs) so far had 3 cavities filled without any pain, sedatives, numbing agents or anything. I really hope we can avoid anymore conventional dental work using all of these suggestions but for the person who posted they ended up not having a choice just wanted to put it out there. BTW... every other conventional dentist told me we had to pull her two front teeth and that fillings wouldnt work but despite having to have it re-filled a couple of times, this is working for her (for now).  

#34 of 45 Old 02-06-2013, 07:44 PM

/

#35 of 45 Old 02-07-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasee View Post

The idea of eliminating all grains sounds challenging, but worth doing if it will help.  I need help to clarify which foods are and are not grains for the purpose of healing tooth decay.  Would beans, peas, lentils, potatoes be okay?  Some grains I am thinking of that my family eats are rice, quinoa, millet, wheat, oats.  Seems like any bread, pasta, or cracker product would be off the list, yes?  I'm also thinking that one would want to eliminate or greatly reduce sugars/sweeteners also?  Would agave be okay or are there any sweeteners that would be okay?  Dairy and fruit would be okay?

Quinoa is not considered a grain, but we limit our consumption because it is a seed, and the Peruvian people are suffering so since quinoa is big business. It was their staple food, and now most cannot afford it. They are being forced to subsist on processed foods and/or go hungry. Ugh. 

Anywaaaayyy, the rest of your list is considered grain. It is a challenge to eat this way, but we all eat so much less now because our foods are more nutrient dense. Some people interpret "grain-free" as "all you can eat bacon," but that isn't the case, sadly. LOL. We are not strictly paleo, so we still have raw, grassfed milk and raw, local cow and goat cheese. LO swishes with water after he eats, especially after fruit, and he gets plenty of virgin coconut oil in his diet and on his toothbrush.  

If you're having a hard time finding local sources for grassfed and foraged meats and dairy, check localharvest.org and your local co-op. We use Nutiva coconut oil that we order from Amazon. 

#36 of 45 Old 02-07-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugz View Post

Do you have any good reading to explain why to avoid grains?  I understand avoiding sugar, but not the grains... what if they're whole grains?  We eat oatmeal nearly every morning, sprouted bread for sandwiches for lunch, and usually rice, quinoa, or whole grain pasta for suppers.  No grains would definitely be a challenge!

Check the Weston A. Price study for the role of grains in tooth decay. The children in that study were fed rolls with their meals every day, but the clean wheat had been sprouted and fresh ground every morning to make the bread. Today's wheat, even organic, has been so hybridized that it is gut poison to everyone. 

#37 of 45 Old 02-10-2013, 12:01 PM

For those of you who are making your own toothpastes.. Where are you buying your supplies and how exactly are you making it (like the proportions you are using)? 

Thanks!!

"If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing."
~Agnes Sallet Von Tannenberg
#38 of 45 Old 02-15-2013, 05:24 PM

Thank you for all your informative posts. We are currently battling this issue with my almost-2 year old. I have been trying to heal his cavities naturally but it is very, very hard. We brush with Xylitol 4 times a day and I wipe his teeth after he eats anything (besides drinking water) and during the day after he nurses. (We are beginning to work on gentle, gradual night-weaning. It's a process... For now he is still nursing 2-3 times a night ) He is taking fermented cod liver oil and butter oil, and a D3 supplement.  

I have two questions:

1. Do any of you have practical suggestions as to what to give a picky toddler to eat (besides just more fruits/vegetables)  that does not involve grains?  Or websites/recipes/information about toddler-friendly non-grain recipes? He's small anyway, and not a big eater. 

So much "kid food" (and the food my guy likes best) are grains- toast, oatmeal, rice, pasta... I have read Ramiel Nagel's book, but my toddler is very, very picky and I can't imagine him eating liver, fish eggs,organ meats etc. He already eats a lot of vegetables and fruit ,and I have eliminated cereal and wheat pasta and drastically cut back on the bread.... I've been soaking his oatmeal and rice overnight. I am vegetarian (except for fish occasionally) but my husband is an omnivore. My little guy has not yet eaten any meat, although we've tried giving it to him lots of times. He likes eggs, yogurt and cheese, but will not touch cow's milk or kefir,  What do I feed him? I feel like we have been relying on the same few tried and true meals but I am looking for more ideas, especially grain-free. 

and 2. Anyone out there also suspect their toddler has a "lip tie" that is contributing to tooth decay via night nursing? Maybe that's another thread. I'm new here.

Thank you!

#39 of 45 Old 03-11-2013, 01:35 PM

But Gabby isnt baking soda an abrasive? I know a lot of people use it for teeth whitening for this purpose. If you do it too much you can scrub your enamel away and im worried people would be overzealous and damage their teeth even further :[ 

hug2.gif    goodvibes.gifstillheart.gif  

#40 of 45 Old 03-11-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill the pill View Post

You don't need to spit out the toothpaste since there is nothing dangerous in it.  It is safe to use on toddlers and babies too.  This is where I got my recipehttp://wellnessmama.com/2500/homemade-remineralizing-toothpaste-recipe/

I'm trying out this recipe and the xylitol gum.  Dd has a small cavity in a molar that the dentist says will need to be filled at some point.  He doesn't want to put her through it now since she's only 4yo.  We'll try this for a few months and see how it goes at the next checkup.

Treehugs im a big fan of Dr. Johns lollipops :x They have ones with natural flavors/colors as well! Something to consider if the gum doesnt work. 

http://www.drjohns.com/candystore/c-1-simplyxylitol-candies-drink-mixes-chocolates-sweetener-more.aspx

Try to look for the ones with "natural flavors and coloring" I just feel like 1. They dont stain as much and 2. Well..why not if they taste just as good :) 

It really tastes just like a lollipop! And I figure it'd be something they like but of course you'd have to let them know the difference between these lollipops and the bad kinds! My only complaint is that the shipping is expensive, maybe 10 dollars a box. Also i'd avoid the drink mixes since they have something like 4G of xylitol and I really feel like thats too much. I think you're just begging for gastrointestinal issues with that kind of dose and I feel like the lollipops are better anyway since it sits on your teeth and tongue for longer.

They also have xylitol hard candies with 1/4 gram xylitol but the choking issue makes me weary for a child that age

hug2.gif    goodvibes.gifstillheart.gif  

#41 of 45 Old 04-25-2013, 12:30 PM

I think this is an awesome post. My daughter had a deep cavity filled a silver filling. I was so devastated with the whole process and afraid that this metal can cause harm to her health. My son has a cavity and I would like to do anything I can to avoid a filling. So please keep your natural and homeopathic solutions coming. I am listening. Thanks!

#42 of 45 Old 05-26-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedbyblues View Post

I think it is important to remember to avoid grains when remineralizing teeth. I just wanted to remind everyone.

Quote:

Do you have any good reading to explain why to avoid grains?  I understand avoiding sugar, but not the grains... what if they're whole grains?  We eat oatmeal nearly every morning, sprouted bread for sandwiches for lunch, and usually rice, quinoa, or whole grain pasta for suppers.  No grains would definitely be a challenge!

I read that it was because of the starches. I can say, for one, that you DO NOT need to avoid whole grains while mineralizing teeth. I make breads that are 97% whole grain (note, not whole wheat...there is a big difference). I do not find that it is gut poison, but contrary to the popular belief and teachings online nowadays, quite necessary for my digestive health. I did not avoid that at all and still saw amazing results. I would not advise switching your diet in that way.

I had a cavity when I went to see the dentist 3 years ago. I was avoiding going for various reasons.

I started using spring water from a spring nearby and also made my own tooth powder, so that helped me avoid fluoride. I also avoided glycerin and mineral oil that was most likely in the toothpaste as well. This was a step toward helping my teeth remineralize. All I used for my tooth powder was 2 Tbsp. baking soda, 1 Tbsp. sage, and 1/2 Tbsp.sea salt. That's it...cheap and easy, and it doesn't go bad.

Last year, I learned about magnesium in bone broths and other foods and how most people are deficient. I was introduced to "The Magnesium Miracle" through a free online seminar. I also learned about magnesium chloride. I think it was this January/February that I started doing more bone broth for soup bases, making and applying magnesium oil (magnesium chloride mixed with water) to my skin, and for two weeks, I cut out sugar entirely. I fully believe that this, mixed with the addition of having raw milk and raw butter again made a big difference. In that time, I had found that the hurt that I had been experiencing from the tooth disappeared. When we went to see the dentist last week, she said that I had no cavities. What a wonderful, pleasant surprise! I honestly had doubts that it would work, but now having experienced it for myself, was very happy to tell others...who of course are just a skeptical as I was. Thing is, I know it worked and they cannot really argue with that!

I avoid xylitol. I suspected when it came out and had so many benefits that it was not as good as some would want us to believe. I am always skeptical of hype in marketing and quick acceptance of any teaching by the masses: http://www.naturalnews.com/022986_xylitol_health_sugar.html#ixzz2yDPfWia7 A better choice if you are looking to xylitol for the sweetness factor only in too powders and toothpastes would be stevia.

#43 of 45 Old 05-27-2014, 11:52 AM

Hatchling,

When you write "whole grains" can you give examples - would brown rice be included in this?  Would wheat kernals be included?

Thanks for your post!

#44 of 45 Old 05-27-2014, 03:33 PM

You are welcome.

When I was referring to whole grains, I was specifically referring to wheat kernels. I have used both conventional wheat and organic for flour and making flour. Organic is by far my choice, but I don't always have it available to me. I know that giving a nod to modern wheat will make many people cringe, but that is what it is. I would use the ancient stuff too if I could get it to grow in sufficient quantities. I would like to try it.

I have not used solely brown rice for some time now. I have been using a mix of 5 types of rice. It is a mix that I found at the store. I have always been intrigued with wild rice, however, and might go for that next. White rice has not been a part of our eating for many, many years now.

I hope that you hear what I heard...no cavities. It is the strangest thing to hear when you KNOW that you had one/some. Haha...if there was a dancing emoticon, I would be posting quite a few here. orngbiggrin.gif Ah, maybe this will do: joy.gif
#45 of 45 Old 05-28-2014, 08:32 PM

I might need to start a new thread on this, but this is related to healing teeth in a different way. I am wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to heal an adult tooth that has been knocked nearly loose so that the roots will reconnect and you can save the tooth?

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page