What are your five favorite homeopathic remedies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Going more homeopathic is one of my New Years Resolutions. It's been so long since I studied homeopathy I feel like I need a refresher course to figure out what to buy and how to use it! With little time to do that I thought maybe some remedies are used more frequently and commonly that I could at least get started with that. I've used Oscillococcinum in the past and it seemed to work pretty well for my family. I've also used Arnica montana for muscle pain. But that's about it. 

So, for those of you who use homepathic remedies - what are your top five that you always keep in your medicine cabinet? And, what brand should I go for? Thanks! thumb.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Arnica Montana - I prefer the gel or cream; used for aches and pains.

Nux Vomica - For those times when the stomach wants to reverse itself.

"BACK" - A combination remedy for back pain manufactured by HEEL.  (first time in decades that I had this much back pain relief)

"ASTHMA" - A combination remedy for lung problems manufactured by HEEL (worked much better for the surgery caused lung infection than the surgeon's prescribed medication)("ASTHMA" now only sold via a prescription)

"Gunpowder" - Excellent for skin problems.

Phosphorus 200C - My constitutional remedy

I DO NOT LIKE several of the common remedy brands found in our USA stores.  With the exception of HEEL products I now order all my remedies from "WHP" (Washington Homeopathic Products - WHP gives you much more for you dollar and they seem much more powerful then the usual brands.)

I found out that remedies are ineffective if stored incorrectly or taken incorrectly.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Thanks WalkandTalk and welcome to Mothering!

How do you determine a remedy to be more powerful? 

I recall there being a remedy to give children if you are not vaccinating. I think it is given during outbreaks as well. Anyone know what that is and how it should be taken?

Old 01-26-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

How do you determine a remedy to be more powerful? 

Hi Cynthia,
We have hundreds of dollars worth of homeopathic remedies (probably thousands of dollars worth), and those remedies are from various sources/manufactures.  We have many years of experience working with these remedies.

Over the years we have found remedies manufactured by "Standard," "Hyland's," and "Boiron" (these brands are typically found on store shelves in the USA) to rarely be effective. 

At the same time we have found those made by "Washington Homeopathic Products ("WPH")," "Dolisos," "Boericke & Tafel," "Helios," and "Freemans" to be very effective; thus my statement that some are more 'powerful.'

I will only purchase remedies from Standard, Hylands and Boiron if desperate and need something "right now."

Homeopathic remedies need to be stored away from anything aromatic and anything emitting an electrical field.  They need to be stored out of sunlight. 

They need to be taken when the mouth is free from food, coffee, anything strong flavored, and especially mint products (most toothpaste, teas, breath mints, etc.).  If stored correctly homeopathic remedies do not expire, even though in the USA the Food and Drug people require expiration dates be put on the containers. 

You should largely ignore whatever the container label says the remedy is used for; these 'used for' label notes being one more requirement from the food and drug people.

If at all possible the remedies should not be handled prior to being placed into the mouth.  Most remedies should be slowly dissolved under the tongue.

Many people do not realize that remedies should be selected for the individual (with all their physical, mental and emotional makeups) and not necessarily for the ailment.  If a complete person workup is not possible then I would suggest going for a remedy for a specific ailment.

To explain:  If I have a cold with a sore throat and a runny nose the remedy I use would be different than a person with a cold that manifests as a cough, fever, and tiredness.  Another cold remedy might be prescribed for a person that has a cold manifesting with an itchy throat, runny nose and the person does not want to eat and is cranky and feels the need to be in a warm bed.  This example could be stretched out, but my intent is to show that remedies for a cold might number close to 20 and need to be "prescribed" according to the complete symptom picture of the individual.

There are several book/sources that tell how, when you are sick, to make your own remedies made from your own bodily fluids - specifically spit.  There are several good books (and some not so good) that the casual user of the remedies can consult to find a good remedy for them and their families needs.

Personally I like to purchase remedies that are not made by the "K" method, but those made by that method do seem to work.

I hope this helps.

PS.  No I am not a professional Homeopathic Physician or working in any of the healing arts, and I do not represent any company.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Thanks for the details. I personally found the Hyland's remedies I used to be quite effective. I've never tried the others you listed so I will definitely consider them. 

Anyone else have any tried and true remedies to recommend?

Old 01-27-2013, 02:36 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

WalkAndTalk, what is "the "K" method"?  I'm interested in getting more in to homeopathy, I have a friend who has explained to me much of the same things that WalkAndTalk has said, but I kinda just don't know where to start!!

Old 01-28-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

WalkAndTalk, what is "the "K" method"?  I'm interested in getting more in to homeopathy, I have a friend who has explained to me much of the same things that WalkAndTalk has said, but I kinda just don't know where to start!!

What I refer to as the "K" method is --  Typically a remedy is made by a set quantity of the original solution mixed with a larger quantity of something like water or alcohol.  To explain: usually one drop to 9 drops (one ounce to nine ounces, or ... ), or one portion to 99 portions.  The one to nine are your "X" remedies and the one to 99 are your "C" potencies .  In Homeopathy your higher "C" potencies (higher dilutions) or the "M" potencies are the more powerful.

In the "X", "C", or "M" potencies there is a time and place for using the lower potencies like X and a time and place for using the higher potencies like C or M.

Typically with each of these to make the next step in potencies (say from 3X to 4X or from 15C to 16C) you would take one part of the lower potency (3X) and add it to 9 parts of water or alcohol.  You would process that and then take one part of that to add to 9 parts of fresh water or alcohol, etc.  These steps take an actual part of the remedy to make it into a higher potency.

With the "K" method the manufacturer vacuums out all of the original fluid from the vessel and puts fresh water or alcohol into the original vessel to start the process of obtaining the next level of potency.  In theory there is enough of the original fluid left in the vessel after the vacuuming out to equal the desired one drop (or ounce or ... ) to be combined to the new fresh fluids being put into the same vessel.

I hope I was able to somewhat explain the process.  I'm sorry if I have just caused confusion.
I don't trust the "K" method of obtaining potencies.  I would rather have a measurable amount of the remedy being used to make the next higher potency.

Here is a real example:  Say you see a container of Digitalis Purp at the potency of 200CK.  If it were a potency of 200C it would mean that they started out with one portion of Digitalis Purp to 99 portions of water or alcohol.  Then processed that to make a potency of 1C.  Then they would take one part of that to 99 portions of water or alcohol and process that to make a 2C potency.  They would do that 200 times to come up with a 200C potency remedy of the Digitalis Purp.

With the K method they would take one part of Digitalis Purp and 99 parts of water or alcohol; process it; VACUUM out all the fluid and fill the vessel with 99 parts of water or alcohol; process it to make a 2CK potency; and do this vacuuming out of the vessel each time until they come to the potency of 200CK of the remedy.

(There are technical terms for all of this, but for ease of explaining and understanding I left out all the homeopathic jargon.)

I will do another reply to tell you how I would start using Homeopathy if I was new at all this.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:56 PM

carbo veg- for my heartburn

ipecacuanha- for imminent vomiting

Leg Cramp formula by Hylands- for my children's growing pains

ignatia amara- for grief and emotional upset, useful for both myself and the kids

passiflora incar.- for nervousness before bed and insomnia

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

Over the years I have purchased lots of book on Homeopathy.  Some are good and some are useless (In my opinion).  I also have Homeopathic software. 

If it were me and I was new at all this and wanted to know where to start I would purchase the book, "The Family Guide to Homeopathy" by Dr. Andrew Lockie.  [make sure it is by Dr. Andrew Lockie because there is another book out there with the same title that I do not necessarily recommend]

Most stores that sell homeopathic remedies will sell home kits with the basic "must have" remedies.  These kits can be as small as 10 remedies or as many as 150 remedies.  (Hyland's is one of the sponsors of this board; I would imagine that they have home kits for sale.)

Dr. Andrew Lockie's book will have a list of suggested remedies.

In Dr. Lockie's book you would look up a malady such as "Bladder Stones."  He will talk about the malady and then suggest various remedies for the problem, depending on its manifestation.  If you had stones with blood in the urine he would suggest one remedy, but if you had stones interrupting urine flow he would suggest a different remedy.  If you had stones with slimy urine he would suggest yet another remedy, but if you had stones with cold sweats and were overweight he would suggest a different remedy.  His book is a "must have" in my library.

If you want an inexpensive and very easy to use (but poorly documented) software package I suggest Zentrum Publishing's $20 Homeopathy package.  I hope it is okay to give a link here, please forgive me if I error by proving Zentrum Publishing's link: www.alternative-medicine-software.com/info/pricing.htm 

These book and software sources will give you remedy suggestions for treating the symptom.  In true Classical Homeopathy you want a Homeopathic Doctor to do a complete workup on the patient to find the ultimate remedy (Constitutional) for the individual, and find the best remedy for the malady being experienced.  In true Classical Homeopathy the doctor will want to look at the individuals entire makeup - emotional, mental, physical, etc.

If you cannot afford to find a homeopathic doctor and want something online to help do much of the process I recommend trying to learn the proper way to use the free online software at www.abchomeopathy.com.

If you are somewhat skilled at homeopathy I recommend the subscription homeopathic software at Complete Dynamics:  www.completedynamics.com/?lang=en  I LOVE this software, but I know how to use it.

If I were suffering from something minor and temporary where usually the body would take care of itself over time (like the common cold) I would use the lower potencies ("X").  If you want a good potency to start with in your kit I would suggest something like 6X or up to 30C (I personally like to purchase the 20C or 30C potencies).  If I were suffering with something that is a deep or longstanding problem I would get a 30C or even a 200C remedy.

If I found out my constitutional remedy I would use it in the 200C potency - but rarely.

Any homeopathic professional will probably cringe when reading my cursory explanations to all this, but there you have it, my attempt to put some information out here in an attempt to help those interested.

Blessings,
Later edit addition:  If you believe that someday you will not be able to purchase homeopathic remedies for social or financial reasons and want to know how to make your own homeopathic remedies I strongly suggest the book, "Biological, Chemical, and Nuclear Warfare - Protecting Yourself and Your Loved Ones; The Power of Digital Medicine" by Savely Yurkovsky, MD.  This is a very unfortunate title for the book as the title alone will scare people away from a very good text that tells how and when to make your own homeopathic remedies.  It is published by "Science of Medicine Publishing."

Old 01-29-2013, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone! 

WalkAdnTalk - you;ve given us a lot to learn from. I really appreciate your input and hope we get to see more of your posts around Mothering. love.gif

Lazurii - love the list!

If anyone knows anything about teething pain and homeopathic belladona, we have a question over here that could use some input. 

I have another question about Oscillococcinum for the flu but I think I'll start another thread about that so we can keep this one focused on general remedies and favorite brands. :)

Old 01-30-2013, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)

[oops, I posted natural remedies, not homeopathic remedies]

Old 01-30-2013, 07:35 PM

Walk and Talk, I am a homeopath, and I thought your explanations were great :) 

I was just going to chime in on my top 5, but specifically right now for flu season and what I have been using to treat some folks: 

- Oscillocosinum. Yup, I still recommend it, especially if you are new, or you yourself are getting sick because its' so hard to treat yourself and popping a few tubes of this can really stave things off. 

- Aconite: must, must, must have. For the early indications of cold/flu: tight, stitching pain in your throat. That dry, barking cough of a child around midnight. Bright, flushed cheeks. High, dry temperature. These conditions often come of after exposure- like to a cold, dry wind. After skiiing, or sledding, for example. Also, any panic, fear or fright from a sudden shock or grief. 

- Gelsemium- the key words are 'droopy, drowsy, and dumb'... so, can't keep the eyes open. Fever, but chills up the back. Some describe it as like an ice cube drip. Skin might be sweaty. Headache that starts in the occiput. Vertigo. Slow onset of symptoms, but typically in the early stage. 

- Arsenicum- super cold, can't get warm. anxious about their condition, burning pains. vomiting and diarrhea. needs company, thirsty just for sips, and must be warm. all conditions aggravated between midnight and 2am... so the cough, the stomach, etc... If you get that chilly feeling of being 'off' and are worried, taking a few doses of arsenicum can act as a preventative for full-blown illness. 

- Bryonia- slow onset, over a day or 6+ hours. High dry fever, bursting headache, painful bursting cough. They want to immobilize their chest, because it hurst so bad. The illness will typically start in the lungs, with a cough. Everything is worse with motion- the headache, the cough, etc... they are thirsty. and grumpy- its' the 'grumpy bear' remedy. a normally social kid or adult will just want to hole up in their room, be still and be left alone. 

so great to see a homeopathy conversation!! 

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
Old 01-31-2013, 09:50 AM

I'm going to second the Washington Homeopathic recommendation. They have a 50 remedy kit that is very reasonably priced and has a lot of your everyday acute remedies in it. I would also recommend a good book to go with the kit, perhaps Miranda Castro's book (easy intro book with lots of good information). I have also taken 2 courses with Sheri Nakken (she's a classical homeopath and teaches water dilutions and individual remedies which I have found to be incredibly important).

There are the ABC's of homeopathy for children's acutes which is Aconite, Belladona and Chamomillia. If you haven't taken a course and aren't working with a homeopath stick with the 30 C dosage, you will get the best results and it's unlikely you will over administer the remedy (which can be done and will cause aggravations many times).

Other remedies I would always have on hand for little ones:

Arnica montana

Pulsatilla (whining and clinginess especially when ill, will help with fever in those situations, also good for stalled labor)

Calc carbonica (very beneficial for difficult teething)

Apis (stings and allergic reactions - not all but if the remedy matches the symptoms, usually good)

These are the ones I can think of right off. They are all wonderful remedies to have on hand but I would suggest getting a 50 remedy kit. Or even a 100. You will save a lot of time and energy and most likely have what you need when you need it.

If you are interested in pursuing homeopathy further or reading other texts, another easy read by Dr. Luc is "Human Condition Critical." It's a super easy read and covers a lot of ins and outs in very easy to understand language.

I have been studying homeopathy for a while and use it exclusively as a healing modality. I also study herbs and tend to use those pretty much topically and as nutritional support. If I need "medical" I turn to homeopath. I am also working with a classical homeopath in Pennsylvania who has me on a constitutional (as well as my husband) working on miasmatic "issues." These are my opinions through my experience and personal education :-)

namaste

Momma of an amazing little man on 3/16/10, pregnant with #2 due in June...married to the man of my dreams. Living in a little town in the rural world of New England and loving my life. <3

Old 01-31-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Thanks for the great input everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaBearclan View Post

Edible clay and essential oils are the only homeopathic products we use. We also use them daily for maintaining health.

I had no idea edible clay and essential oils are homeopathic remedies. What makes them homeopathic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmainer View Post

- Oscillocosinum. Yup, I still recommend it, especially if you are new, or you yourself are getting sick because its' so hard to treat yourself and popping a few tubes of this can really stave things off. 

Would love to have your input on the thread I have going about this! It's here: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1373516/oscillococcinum-for-the-flu 

WalkAndTalk and Lazuri - you too! 

Also, we have a member asking about belladonna for teething, if anyone has any information to share. It's here: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1373404

Old 01-31-2013, 12:47 PM

For teething I've had great success with calcerea phosphorica.

.....and Tylenol.  redface.gif

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 PM

Appreciate everyone's comments on this post! Not as well-versed in homeopathic remedies, although our use of common medicine is slim to none. Mainly essential oils.

Tags
Health Healing
User Tag List