this FLU-what are you doing to prevent it and WHAT would you do if your children get it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am really starting to worry. I want to be prepared. A girl my DD's age who lived on the same island just died of the flu within two days of being ill. I want to be prepared! What homeopathic remedies do you have ready, or herbs or food etc?

#2 of 6 Old 01-25-2013, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hear you! My mantra right now is, "A healthy immune system kicks a flu shots butt any day!" My DS is 6 months and he's not getting a flu shot. When there are waves of sickness going through my community I try to keep my boy home, we go out for walks but stay away from crowded places, I wash my hands and make everyone else wash their hands when they come home and he's not on solids yet so I'm just making sure I'm eating the highest quality diet possible for his breast milk. If my boy were eating foods, I would make sure that he was getting bone broth in every meal and consider a CLO supplement in addition to lots and lots of greens, shitake mushrooms, ginger, garlic, etc.

And this video is for whooping cough, but she does have some home made cough syrups and soups for illness. And one that might be of interest to you, a supposedly (I haven't tried it yet!) delicious garlic lemon tea. Apparently it's a great immune booster. Hope that helps some!

http://avivaromm.com/whooping-cough-in-the-thick-of-it

#3 of 6 Old 01-31-2013, 02:37 PM

Sambucol Syrup has some pretty convincing evidence with influenza. I don't know that it actually helped anyone here when we got influenza last year but maybe we would have been sicker without! I did see a study showing it increased immune response (it's anti-viral) and also increased cytokines. In some influenza strains cytokines storm is a problem. So that gave me pause. I must have decided, though, it was the right choice as I used it with all of us. We do other immune boosting things--epicore, optizinc, colostrum, probiotics--as well.

Remember pediatric deaths from influenza are relatively rare. I know someone struck by lightening but that doesn't increase my risk. I guess I'm saying that she's rare and it's horribly sad and I can see how it would make you feel fearful. But do keep reminding yourself that the risk is really not that great.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#4 of 6 Old 01-31-2013, 02:47 PM

If it helps your fears at all, both my kids got it, and it was quite mild.  My son had a stuffy nose and was slightly warm one night.  My daughter had a deep chest cough, stuffy nose, and ran a fever one night.  That was it.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#5 of 6 Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazurii View Post

If it helps your fears at all, both my kids got it, and it was quite mild.  My son had a stuffy nose and was slightly warm one night.  My daughter had a deep chest cough, stuffy nose, and ran a fever one night.  That was it.

Can I ask you how you know this was the flu? Were your children tested? 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#6 of 6 Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

Can I ask you how you know this was the flu? Were your children tested? 

Nope, not tested, but they followed the similar pattern that The Hubby and I do when we get the flu.

Edited to add:  Forgot to say that they both had body aches.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page