Our upstairs neighbor had a water leak which has resulted in us having to have the ceiling of our second bathroom totally ripped out, insulation removed, and de-humidifiers and fans running 24/7. It looks like it's finally dry and they can start putting it back together.
My concern is that the first step is spraying with some sort of anti mold chemicals, some sort of primer, insulation, rebuild the ceiling and paint everything.
We asked one of the guys what product he used, and he showed us a bottle of Concrobium MoldControl ("No bleach, ammonia or VOCs", it says on top), but he also said they'd be used other stuff. He said it was pet safe.
This is the second bathroom, and we can just close the door and no go in there at all while this is going on. It could potentially take a while, since it's an apartment building and they've got to do the same thing in three units.
This would all be fine if it wasn't for the fact that I'm pregnant - 7 weeks along, so prime organ building time for the little embryo. Would you move out while this is going on, or would you stay put? Or something in between - move out during the mold stuff, stay for the drywall and painting? And moving out would mean either crashing at a friends' (and still having to go back home twice a day to feed our cats), or paying for a hotel (and still have to go home to feed the cats).
I'm planning on calling my midwife and asking her, but I thought it might be worth seeing what other people thought.
Can they put up a barrier to that room and maybe put up an exhaust fans to blow the fumes outside? I'm glad they got rid of the mold, that kind of mold is very bad for you and baby.
Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!
Check out our User Agreement.
There wasn't mold originally, so that's good. We caught the leak the moment it happened - it's just that the upstairs neighbor is an elderly lady, so by the time she managed to get the water main cut off it had already soaked quite a bit. But at least it didn't have time to rot or anything :)
Fans are a good idea! The bathroom does have a window, so we could rig something up.