Need help to ween off laxatives! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-25-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello! I have always struggled with constipation but when I got pregnant it got worse. While I was pregnant I started taking a potassium pill everyday to help with restless legs and it actually helped me to have regular BMs as well, so the whole second and third tri went great as far as regularity. Then once my babe was born I started to get really backed up, I wasn't taking the potassium as regularly, but I went on a magnesium regimen which would produce BMs but I could never find the right balance to get regular, soft movements. I ended up with an anal fissure and the pain was absolutely unbearable! I'm talking about almost passing out on the toilet pain (I know some of you mamas know what I'm talking about!) and once it was over, excruciating pain all day, trouble walking, sitting, etc. I dealt with this for 5 months and finally I went to the emergency room because my pain was so bad I was on the verge of tears all day and was having trouble nursing because I couldn't be in a position of comfort--it was REALLY bad. The ER doc told me to start taking MiraLax and since then I have had no pain, regular and soft BMs and my life would be perfect except that I am breastfeeding and I'm doubly worried about the milk and then my reliance on a laxative. I just want my colon to operate normally and healthily. I tried going off the MiraLax and after one day of a slightly harder movement that gave me a little pain I went back on because I'm so scared to experience that kind of pain again. I am traumatized. I've been taking it almost daily now for 20 days and I'm afraid that this is going to get out of control if I don't start figuring out another routine. Any suggestions?

Let me also mention that I eat TONS of veggies and fruits, I'm off dairy (for my DS who can't take the proteins in the breastmilk), and I eat dried fruits daily. 

#2 of 3 Old 01-26-2013, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I take extra magnesium for headaches and it really softens things up. You can also absorb magnesium through your skin but I don't know if it affects bowels if you get it that way. Epsom salts baths help you get more magensium. May be worth a try. 

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#3 of 3 Old 01-26-2013, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Cut the amount of miralax by one third every week or 2. Drink lots of water. If you eat a lot of fiber without water it can make constipation worse. Take a psyllium fiber supplement like metamucil once a day. Make time to sit on the toilet twice a day, even if you dont feel like going. Sit on the toilet with your feet up on a stool as this helps the bowels move better. Your knees should be above your hips. Does coffee help? If it does I would drink it to help things along. I dont see anything wrong with that. Try a tablespoon of flax oil every day. Good fats also help. Good luck!

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page