When you or your kids have to take the antibiotics... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-30-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
What your sure fire ways to bounce back from taking them? We usually do probiotics, but how much would you up them after abx?

Anything else to make the hit of the medicine a little less strong, especially on gut health? Any great ways to help your kids bounce back?

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#2 of 8 Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do Florstor while on antibiotics. The antibiotics can't kill it and it's great with suppression of candida as well. We do a Florastor with each antibiotic dose and Culturelle three hours after each dose as much as possible. It would be good afterward to do a probiotic proven to survive digestion and colonize. I really like Klaire labs. Your present probiotics/probiotic foods might be good, Andrew carries c. diff now after a hospitalization so we just continue with the big guns of Culturelle and Florastor.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 8 Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post

I do Florstor while on antibiotics. The antibiotics can't kill it and it's great with suppression of candida as well. We do a Florastor with each antibiotic dose and Culturelle three hours after each dose as much as possible. It would be good afterward to do a probiotic proven to survive digestion and colonize. I really like Klaire labs. Your present probiotics/probiotic foods might be good, Andrew carries c. diff now after a hospitalization so we just continue with the big guns of Culturelle and Florastor.

Wow! I was going to post almost exactly the same regimen. Just want to add that Jarrow makes a sacchryomyces boulardii that is a bit cheaper and just about the same as florastor in my experience.

I used to laugh that they make the "I heart Culturelle" tshirts. Now, I would totally wear one, LOL!

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#4 of 8 Old 02-01-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Great advice!  Going to check out Florastor.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#5 of 8 Old 02-03-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Any input or luck with kids and kombucha?

#6 of 8 Old 02-09-2013, 07:09 PM

My son used to love Kombucha...before he was old enough to really discern it from other options :)

But i was going to add that in doing some research about post-antibiotic help, I found that pre-biotics are as essential as pro-biotics and actually make the re-colonization more successful. They kind of pave the way, so to speak. You can get pre/pro biotic combos, but you have to look for them specifically. The doc I was talking with about this said that it takes 18months for the gut to fully recolonize from a round of antibiotics! I don't have a source to offer, it was a private consultation, but I was thinking of looking it up because I had no idea....

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#7 of 8 Old 02-09-2013, 07:22 PM

im interested in responses as well. im doubling up on my dd's probiotics, and am going to get more kefir for her. she has a very bad infection in her chest, and is having trouble breathing, i had no choice but to use them to get her well. poor duck..

i hate abx, but they do have their time and place when truly needed and other options failed..

i have a long history of misuse with myself for abx which long story short i suffer from some autoimmune issues.

hoping my dd can recover from this. that is scary it takes a full 18 months for the gut to recolonize. is that with or without abx??

#8 of 8 Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Good info on the pre/pro biotic balance!!

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page