High Blood Sugar Concerns - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-31-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello! Wondered if there was anyone out there who had experience or knowledge on high blood sugar and/or gestational diabetes. (Also, would like to participate in the Ask The Experts forum with this subject, but can't figure out how...can someone fill me in?).

I gave birth to my first son October 19th (he is three months, 2 weeks old now, and so wonderful! :-) I used a wonderful midwife as my primary caregiver and my family physician as "back up"...he is an MD (family doc and ER doc with lots of experience with homebirths). At 28 wks, concern was raised about my blood sugar. I'd gained quite a bit of weight (almost 70 by the end of the pregnancy) and looked to be having a very big baby. Instead of doing the 3 hour glucose test, they had me use a glucometer to test/monitor my blood sugar...it ranged from 90 to as high as 110 fasting, and would sometimes go pretty high after meals...the highest I ever saw it EVER was 165. After eating scrambled eggs and veggies it would drop to around 80, after eating whole grains it would go to anywhere from 130-165 and sometimes stay up pretty high for a couple hours. 

I took an A1c, and had great numbers. Also ended up taking the 3 hour glucose test which I passed, though I personally thought I was rather close to not passing according to the numbers they told me (my personal opinion). Also took a brisk walk around the building several times during the test which I later learned probably cheated it in my favor. 

Baby was born, was 10 lbs 4 oz, 23 inches with a 15 inch head. 21 hour labor, all natural, no meds, no tearing. Baby was born with his hand on his head and a double knot in umbilical cord and crowned VERY slowly which caused him to be stressed by the time he managed to get out. Caused a few very scary minutes, but after a bit recovered and was just fine. I personally don't think he was a "sugar baby" as i was 9 1/2 lbs and big babies run in my family; he also wasn't ft, just big boned.

Currently, at 3 months postpartum, my blood sugar is usually around 85 fasting, and between 95-110 between meals, though I have caught it as high as 140 half an hour after eating a whole grain (example: plain oatmeal) though it seems to go back down to 100 within an hour or two.

Are these numbers I should be concerned about?!? During the course of my pregnancy I got so many conflicting opinions and read so much differing information felt I never got a clear answer on the matter, and am left feeling completely clueless...one end of the spectrum tells me I am/was fine, the other tells me I had a serious problem. I am thinking ahead to my next pregnancy and want to be informed and prepared should the same situation arise. 

I have read a lot on the matter and am familiar with all the typical charts on sugar levels.

Any advice/info/input would be very appreciated!

#2 of 6 Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 PM

This sounds like a great discussion to have with your doctor.  Sounds like you've already read a lot of info online, so speaking with your doctor in-person would probably be the best way to get actual advice.  Could you talk with your family doctor who was the back-up for your birth?

#3 of 6 Old 01-31-2013, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
How long after eating were you doing your BSL? The numbers you've mentioned suggest GDM if they are 2hr post-prandial. At what point did you get the Hba1c?

Are you concerned about whether you have DM Type II now or are you concerned about GDM in future pregnancies? I agree that brisk walking has probably rendered the GTT you did meaningless. If you're concerned that you may have diabetes I would suggest that you ask to be retested - either GTT or fasting glucose.

If you're concerned about the future breastfeeding for as long as possible and maintaining a healthy weight will help but, unfortunately, as you know there are no guarantees and no way of testing to determine future diagnoses.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 6 Old 02-01-2013, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, my family doctor was involved in the whole process and was the one having me chart my numbers. He was great, but I still feel like I don't have the answers I need. 

#5 of 6 Old 02-01-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

I got the hA1c (sp?) at about 30 weeks I think. I guess I'm a little worried about my sugar being too high now, and also worried about future pregnancies. 

#6 of 6 Old 02-01-2013, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I agree, you don't have all the answers you need.

An Hba1c is a reflection of the previous 3 months. GDM generally develops around 26-28 weeks. So, unless you had diabetes before you are pregnant, it is likely to be good at 30 weeks.

My advice would be to have a formal test for diabetes now, do what you can to reduce your risk for subsequent pregnancies (healthy weight, regular exercise, breastfeed) and have a GTT(this is the 3hr one *not* the 1hr GCT) at about 27 weeks in any future pregnancies.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page