Senstivity to Bananas? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone or their child ever had a banana sensitivity?  This runs in our family.  Now DD seems to have abdominal pain after eating bananas.  Any insight or stories are appreciated.  Thank you!

Married Mama to two girls, A (4/06) and I (9/09).

#2 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Some people are allergic to bananas.  I knew someone who was allergic to latex, bananas and avocados. Apparently the three can be related.  It sounds as if there are two types of allergies in relation to bananas, one related to the pollen, and one related to the latex component, which is what can cause the abdominal problems.

#3 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 10:48 PM

I have severe abdominal pain when I eat bananas. It's sad, because I *love* bananas. I can eat, like, banana bread, banana pancakes, and even strawberry banana smoothies and stuff, so that might be something to try if your DD likes bananas like I do.

WRT latex allergy and bananas being related, I don't know much about that. I'm not allergic to, like, latex gloves, or anything like that, just medical tape, so not much help in that regard.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#4 of 12 Old 02-12-2013, 10:56 PM

If I eat a banana I get heartburn and an itchy chin. The itchy chin part is sooo weird, but it happens every time!

FWIW, I have no issues with avocado, latex, or anything else, really.

Oh, and I can eat banana bread and any baked banana stuff, no problem.

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#5 of 12 Old 02-15-2013, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I wonder if the ability to eat cooked banana means a different kind of allergy or if the cooking just denatures the proteins  It sounds like the latex related allergy is because of chitinase, but then there is also one that is similar to a ragweed allergy and one related to birch pollen.

I found a page on the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America that talks about these cross-relations: http://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=9&sub=20&cont=728

#6 of 12 Old 02-16-2013, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your insight!

Viola, so interesting that bananas and avocado are related to latex.  Thank you for the link!

bmcneal:  That is the same as my father-in-law.  He gets severe abdominal pain.  He said it starts almost immediately and lasts about 24 hours.  Is that how it is for you?  That's great you can still have banana baked in things.

We have been doing an elimination diet for DD.  She is slightly lactose intolerant.  So we took all dairy out for 4 weeks.  She was still having abdominal pain occasionally.  Then we gave her a banana smoothie and she was in pain right away and for the next day.  She cried throughout the next day because it hurt so badly.   We took bananas out and so far, no pain like that since.

Vermillion:  That's interesting about having an itchy chin.  DH and my sister-in-law (DH's sister) both get an itchy mouth with bananas.  So between them and their Dad, it really looks like the banana sensitivity/allergy runs in the family.

DH's dad also cannot tolerate avocados.  I wonder how he does with latex.

Thanks for responding!

#7 of 12 Old 02-16-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenStar View Post

Thank you everyone for your insight!

Viola, so interesting that bananas and avocado are related to latex.  Thank you for the link!

bmcneal:  That is the same as my father-in-law.  He gets severe abdominal pain.  He said it starts almost immediately and lasts about 24 hours.  Is that how it is for you?  That's great you can still have banana baked in things.

We have been doing an elimination diet for DD.  She is slightly lactose intolerant.  So we took all dairy out for 4 weeks.  She was still having abdominal pain occasionally.  Then we gave her a banana smoothie and she was in pain right away and for the next day.  She cried throughout the next day because it hurt so badly.   We took bananas out and so far, no pain like that since.

Vermillion:  That's interesting about having an itchy chin.  DH and my sister-in-law (DH's sister) both get an itchy mouth with bananas.  So between them and their Dad, it really looks like the banana sensitivity/allergy runs in the family.

DH's dad also cannot tolerate avocados.  I wonder how he does with latex.

Thanks for responding!

Mine starts about halfway through a banana, and then last... maybe an hour or two afterwords, so not quite as long, but it sounds similar.

I'm so sorry she had such pain with the smoothie. greensad.gif

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#8 of 12 Old 02-17-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

bmcneal:  Thanks for letting me know about the time frame.  I know, sweet girl. At first I didn't think it was related, but then I got to thinking about everything she had eaten.  There have been several instances where she has pain like that.  The first couple times I thought she had a virus or something, but then no one else got sick.  In some ways, I hope it's just bananas.  So far it seems to be.

#9 of 12 Old 02-17-2013, 03:38 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Does it happen with organic bananas, as well?  Because she could just be allergic to the pesticides used on conventional bananas. 

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#10 of 12 Old 02-17-2013, 03:42 PM

Depending on how ripe the banana is! Myself and one of my sons have Oral Allergy Syndrome. My son also used to break out with a rash on his face and have severe diaper rash when eating bananas. He out grew that, thank goodness! We had him tested for the banana allergy and it came back as just a sensitivity and that it can be asthma related.
#11 of 12 Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

A&A: We eat mostly organic bananas.  That is something to keep in mind.

#12 of 12 Old 02-20-2013, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Owlhowl: So sorry that your son had such a strong reaction to bananas as a baby.  Glad it's better now.  That's interesting that it's related to asthma.  My father-in-law also has asthma.  As a child, they took him off all of the common allergens to see if it made his asthma better.  On his own, he realized that bananas caused the abdominal pain.  I wonder if he ever noticed the asthma link too.  Both DH and his sister have itchy mouths with bananas.  Wishing you all the best!

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page