all sick, need some remedies please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-19-2013, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This winter is awful for us. DSD is just getting over an ear infection, & DS is on day 4 of antibiotics for same. Both still have very chesty coughs. I've been in bed since Friday afternoon, literally. Coughing, blowing my nose every 10 minutes. Gobs and gobs of gross snot. I finally took a pseudophed (sp?) Because my nose is so raw I need to let it heal (thank goodness for CJs Butter).

What can we take to help us recover & keep from getting sick. We only take a multi vitamin now. Someone please educate me!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#2 of 10 Old 02-19-2013, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

i always feel that what keeps us healthy(i will probably get a cold now that i am writing this lol)is eating garlic. i put garlic in everything. that's the only thing i can think that protects us so well. do you guys get sick often?? im sorry you are sick..put a little coconut oil on your nose mama and get well!

#3 of 10 Old 02-19-2013, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like ginger for the medicinal properties. Echinacea. Raspberry leaf. All as teas.

Tea tree or eucalyptus essential oil added to a spray bottle of water and sprayed around to kill air borne viruses and bacteria.
#4 of 10 Old 02-20-2013, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

We do eat a lot of garlic, yum! I have raspberry leaf tea, didn't realize was good for that. The last winter mothering was in print I think they had some cold remedies with ginger, I wonder if I still have it.

I've literally been sick or been fighting a cold since October, same as DS. I feel we must be missing something nutritionally for this kind of frequency. He is in daycare but this is crazy.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please excuse to typos!

#5 of 10 Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 AM

What about vitamin D? Being low affects your immune system, especially in winter time where you can't get enough sun in certain parts of the country. You can get a blood draw to check, or you can just start supplementing to see if you notice a difference. There are lots of past threads about vitamin D and how much to take for adults and kids.

Mom to DS born 6/09 and DS2 born 6/12

#6 of 10 Old 02-20-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Actually I think I was low on D from my most recent labs, thanks!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please excuse to typos!

#7 of 10 Old 02-20-2013, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You should all be on a high quality probiotic too. Also the D - your levels should be over 50.

Elderberry is also good for preventing and treating colds. 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#8 of 10 Old 02-20-2013, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I find sodium ascorbate very helpful, especially when taken to bowel tolerance. Cod liver oil is also good, great source of vitamin A and D. Wishing you all a fast recovery.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21677119

#9 of 10 Old 02-24-2013, 02:42 PM

Oh well....it is HARD to get little one to take anything.  But if you can, I'd take vitamin D3 (at least 5,000 iu ..you can pierce the gel caps and squirt it in the mouth of a little one), vitamin c (as much as possible, I like Livon Labs Lypo-Spheric C), and a probiotic (I just use acidophilus as it has always worked for us).

Mother to 6

12, 11, 9, 6, 3, 1

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

#10 of 10 Old 03-02-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! Guess what? Now I have strep too eyesroll.gif We've started taking D3 (I add drops to DSs milk - I read it absorbs better with some fat), buffered/powdered C in water or juice, I have B12 I take under the tongue. I've been giving DS Pearls probiotic. Not sure if that's a great one, but they are tiny and round and good for him to get used to swallowing pills. We have New Chapter pre/probiotic for ourselves.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page