3yr old DD in agony with ear infection tonight... How can I help her?!?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-01-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3 year old had to be picked up from daycare today, cried all morning complaining about her ear. She has gotten progressively worse over the day, calms only just after the newest dose of children's Advil. But the Advil isn't helping much anymore and I'm giving her the max dose. It's nearly midnight and she is screaming/crying and writhing around unable to sleep or even quiet herself for more than 15 mins at a time.

I took her in to her dr to confirm the infection this afternoon and make sure it hasn't ruptured. Is bulging but not ruptured. Went home with antibiotics and the suggestion of Advil as we are doing.

This seems like an extreme reaction to an infection? I don't see her like this often so it is very upsetting and I am at a loss for how to help her! I had opted to try a couple of drops of colloidal silver in that ear first tonight before making any decisions to start the antibiotics. (Hear of so many people saying that it just hasn't worked for them anyway) It couldn't be a bad reaction to the CS? It is reportedly so inert that I am doubting it.

What should I do? Anyone out there gone through the same? I am looking for relief for her...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-01-2013, 09:40 PM

I'm so sorry!  It's awful to have to watch your little one in so much pain. 

although her drum might not have been ruptured this morning at the doctor's, it may be on its way - the only 2 times my daughter was inconsolable like this was when her drum ruptured (she's had probably 8-10 ear infections total)....one time it even was after she had been checked with no rupture, it ruptured the next day.  The good news is once that's over they feel much, much better.  

I don't have any advice re:  the CS, or really much else to do for her - if there's a chance of rupture you don't want to put anything in there.  Warmth sometimes helps, and really all I could do for my daughter is cuddle her and be there for her.  

I hope that she feels much, much better soon!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#3 of 8 Old 03-02-2013, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I think if she's that in distress I would start her on the antibiotics, and get probiotics after she perks up to help. I don't take antibiotics lightly either but sometimes it is necessary.
#4 of 8 Old 03-02-2013, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post

I think if she's that in distress I would start her on the antibiotics, and get probiotics after she perks up to help. I don't take antibiotics lightly either but sometimes it is necessary.

I agree, sometimes necessary and that's why I filled the prescription to have on hand... I was hoping for advice on relieving her immediate discomfort. I suspect the antibiotics will be slow acting and not the answer to helping her calm down in the coming few hours. She cried through the night, only stopping for an hour here or there following the freshest dose of Advil...
#5 of 8 Old 03-02-2013, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

She should feel better after 2 doses of antibiotics, in the meantime I'd use warm garlic oil.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#6 of 8 Old 03-02-2013, 07:53 AM

There are numbing ear drops that your doctor can prescribe.
#7 of 8 Old 03-02-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Got some garlic oil drops from local naturopath... Dose 1 so far. If no improvement before bed tonight, will start the antibiotics for sure... Thanks for the input all. Tough to see the little one in pain... greensad.gif
#8 of 8 Old 03-03-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Just an update for anyone interested in how the drops turned out... The 'Ear Oil' natural drops made a big difference by the next night. She still woke once and needed a little top up of Advil but it was MILES away from the experience of her fitful screaming the night prior let me tell you! I only wish I had gotten to her ear earlier as despite the progression in easing the pain, I am pretty sure the ear drum just ruptured. I think if I'd had an earlier start with the drops we might have avoided but was clearly too far gone already... Will be starting the antibiotics now just to make sure, since you can't dose a broken ear drum!

Tags
Health Healing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page