Pregnant, congested toddler, what's safe to up our immune systems? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-03-2013, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am about 5.5 weeks pregnant and I also have a 15 month old DD. She has never been sick before, thank goodness, but last night DP said she seemed a tiny bit congested, she didn't sleep well last night, and this morning she sneezed out a bunch of snot (clear to slightly yellow). She has had a runny nose this morning since, and I have been a little sneezy too.

I would like to know what suggestions there might be that would be safe and natural for both of us to help boost our immune systems? I really can't afford to get sick (who can, though, really) as I work 7 days a week right now and we really need the income. I also worry about everything going into my body this early in pregnancy.

Thanks for any help!
#2 of 5 Old 03-04-2013, 11:38 AM

one HUGE all natural, safe for toddlers and pregnant/nursery women is Kefir. Can be find in the organic section of your grocery store or even in the dairy section! kefir is the original probiotic and it strengthens all of those germ fighting antibodies. Dated back 2000 years it is a delicious drink and can be used in smoothies, etc. It tastes a lot like a slightly more liquidy greek yogurt. I bought some kefir grains from amazon.com and started making our own and it's been a delight! We LOVE it. my almost 3 and 1 year old call it their 'special milk'. look it up, it's great for digestive health, lowering cholesterol, and strengthening that immune system!

married to my love, Keith (5.22.08)

mother to Declan (4.25.10) and Cullen (12.21.11)

Baby Boy #3 due January 8, 2014

#3 of 5 Old 03-04-2013, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Sodium Ascorbate is our 'go to'. We like the Nutrabiotic brand and dose to bowel tolerance.

I hope you are both feeling better soon.

#4 of 5 Old 03-05-2013, 08:31 AM

Some probiotics proven to boost the immune system are Florastor and Epicore. Healthy vitamin D levels (D3 supplement, up to 10,000 IU per day for you/65,000 IU a week; no more than 2000 IU for her). Optizinc is a great zinc supplement that doesn't deplete iron that you could take. Both of you could do colostrum if you're not dairy free. All would be safe during pregnancy and for young ones.

But pregnancy necessarily reduces the immune system. I'd focus on prevention, particularly for you given it's hard for kids to have healthy habits. Frequent hand washing and keeping unwashed hands away from your face (nose, eyes, mouth) will prevent most colds and, given we're headed out of flu season, may be enough to keep you healthy.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#5 of 5 Old 03-28-2013, 11:26 AM

Dear Rosell, 
I hope you and your toddler are feeling better.  There are a few herbs that could be really useful in that situation. Some find Echinacea by itself to work well and it would be safe for both you and your little one. Also, here at Herb Pharm we have a Children's Winter Health Compound that contains Echinacea and some other immune supporting herbs such as Black Elderberry and Hyssop. This  formula is also safe to use while pregnant and for little ones over 12 months old. It can be fine for  babies younger than 12 months, but we feel it's best for  parents to consults with their physician first.  
Be well,
Autumn

Tags
Health Healing , Herb Pharm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page