Possible IBS in 11 year old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-10-2013, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My eldest has had problems since around when we started solid foods at 5 months. Or when we did the only vaccines he had at 6/7 months. His stools never really got "solid" the way my other kids have. Being a first time mom, I didn't really know what was normal, so I didn't pay much attention until they still weren't really solid around age 2. When we started potty training, he would stay sitting on the toilet for quite awhile. He now has at least once a day where he's in the bathroom 20-40 minutes. Some of those times are times he says he's not sure he's done, but some he's having cramping and shivering & diarrhea. He says he can tell when he's nearly done because the shivering stops. The latest of the latter incidents occurred in the middle of the night and he was stuck in the bathroom for at least half an hour.

Needless to say, I'm more than a bit worried about him. Because he was born by cesarean, I considered that maybe it was due to messed up guy flora and tried giving probiotics. This hasn't gone particularly well. He can't/won't swallow pills (a whole other issue, really) so the probiotics aren't getting where they will do the most good. He consistently ends up in the bathroom between 20 minutes-3 hours after taking them, feeling awful, and my husband has now told me to stop giving them, despite the fact he has these issues even when not taking them, because they`re making ds1 feel so awful.

So, I have no idea what to do next. Allergy testing or elimination diet or something else. Any ideas appreciated. I just want ds1 to be healthy and not have to deal with this.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#2 of 8 Old 03-11-2013, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oh my goodness, that sounds horrible for him. :) Hugs to him!

It sounds to me like a food intolerance, maybe diary or gluten. I know someone well who has celiac disease and gluten really messed her up horribly, so my first thought is maybe that.

You can have some tests run by the doctor, although celiac disease tests have a lot of false negatives. Regardless, it sounds bad enough that I would suggest a doctor visit.

Good luck!

#3 of 8 Old 03-11-2013, 06:57 AM

Start a food-symptom diary. That will help you identify patterns of severity of symptom and food eaten. That should help you identify the problem.

You can also start eliminating foods, starting with the common allergy foods. Dairy, soy, corn, gluten, nuts, peanuts, etc. I'm sure I'm missing something. Check old food allergy threads here on mdc as well as the general Internet.

Good luck.
#4 of 8 Old 03-11-2013, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

As for the probiotics, I can't recommend coconut kefir enough, it worked like magic for my DH. We use the brand inner eco which I believe Whole Foods carries (its a local product for us, so is available in several natural grocers). It's liquid, you can add it to juice or a smoothie, no pills to take!

I second the recommendation to go gluten and dairy free with him.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#5 of 8 Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas. I've been considering gluten free for a few days now, since we had pizza for supper the night he was up in the middle of the night. I already know that he was sensitive to milk as a toddler, never yogurt or cheese, but he seemed to grow out of it. He very seldom has dairy, actually. But he does have bread every day. As dh can only have sourdough or tiny amounts of regular bread without triggering *his* IBS, it seems likely ds1 inherited it.

Thank you for the probiotic suggestion. We don't have Whole Foods in Canada, that I'm aware of, but I'll see what I can find here. I have milk kefir grains, but if dairy is contributing at all, those probably won't help.  Been trying to get my hands on water kefir grains for a couple years now, but maybe I need to try harder.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#6 of 8 Old 03-12-2013, 02:43 PM

Personally, I've never believed that children grow out of their allergies. The body doesn't work like that. The severity of symptoms may *appear* to decrease, probably because the child learns coping strategies. Or the immune system begins to shut down, due to constantly being "on". Either way, the root cause of the problem remains.

I recall there being an online source of coconut or water kefir. I can't recall it off the top of my head, but of you can't find it, I'll search for it.
#7 of 8 Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 PM

If his daddy has a history of problems with gluten, and especially given you see a possible connection with symptoms, I would cut it completely. Actually, I might consider asking for a celiac panel before I cut it out if you can do that. We cut it from my son before testing. You have to consuming gluten to have any chance of an accurate celiac test. If he's feeling better you'll never want to put it back in to get a test.

Also have him keep a diet record to see if you can sort out a link between a food that might be aggravating the symptoms. If you get a potential culprit it would be your next choice to pull.

If that doesn't resolve dairy might be worth trying. But I'd stop there and pursue a different track if things don't resolve.

Some thoughts:

Metametrix comprehensive stool will see if there is bacterial overgrowth (some are chronic, my son had a chronic bacterial infection that resulted in loose (and nasty) stools; it didn't resolve until Metametrix ID and we treated to kill it). It will also look for other things that might cause the symptoms. I'm a fan of that test as it's helped my son so much.

I'd see pediatric GI if none of the above pans out and, actually, maybe if it does. If you're having severe GI responses to food I'd be concerned about Eosinophilic disease.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#8 of 8 Old 03-24-2013, 05:22 PM

I am also a mother going through this with my 10 year old daughter. Second time around so I don't know if it was dead and came back or not dead at all. If you don't mind me asking, where is this doctor that treated with long course of ilenia. My problem is finding a doctor that wants to great it at all.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page