Mothering Forum banner

Conjunctivitis or not? Suggestions for treatment?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Liz 
#1 ·
DD (almost 2) has the goopy eye thing going right now. She often will get a little goopy when coming down with a cold, but this is pretty severe -- basically yellow-green snot coming out her eyes in large quantities (she wakes up with gigantic crusty eye boogers and her eyes stuck shut). Sorry for the gross descriptions! It started in one eye and now is in both. One eye is kind of red but I can't tell if it is just from her rubbing it/me wiping it with a tissue. Both eyes are puffy and swollen. She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort from it, other than having it interfere a little with her vision. She's more restless at night too. Her symptoms seem to fit the description of conjunctivitis (pink eye) in Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child but she also has a congested-sounding cough now, so I wonder if it could be just a strong cold-related reaction? No one else in the family seems to be having problems, and we haven't been around anyone recently who had pink eye that I know of. I've never had it so I'm not sure what to think. I don't want to take her to a doc if I can avoid it.

Suggestions for home treatment for a 2-year-old? I don't think she'll let me put warm compresses on her eyes (can't stop wiggling long enough anyway). I've been squirting breastmilk in her eyes which she likes.
I don't have access to herbs and I think here I would have to see a doc to get homeopathic remedies (although I haven't looked that hard at the pharmacies).

TIA!

See less See more
#2 ·
sounds viral.. just keep doing the breastmilk.. and warm washcloth to get the crud off in the am. I used to get it really bad as a child.. and my mom would have to come get me a warm cloth and let my eyes soak so i could peel em and open em in the morning. If shes not bothered i'd let it run its course especially since it sounds like she has a cold. Is her nose congested as well? your ears, eyes and nose are all linked together so she may get some pressure in her ears and sinuses. again.. warm compresses but you may have to sneak em in during nap time or warm showers and play a game where she puts her face in the water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.