Struggling with weight gain in 5 year old. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-17-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure where to go from here and I'm hoping someone here may be able to help. My 5 year old DS weighs 30 lbs and is 41 inches tall. He is in the 10th percentile for height, but not even on the growth chart for weight. In the last 6 month he has gained no weight.
I suspected a wheat intolerance and put him on a gluten free diet, which he has been on for a year now. I thought it would have made a difference by now. His diet is ok, he eats a variety of food, lots of healthy fats, organic fruits and veggies, grass fed organic meats, and raw dairy. I find he is getting pickier in his eating as of late. I also struggle with getting him to eat some of the meals I cook. I refuse to cook separate meals for the kids. There is lots of variety, but if they don't eat the meal I make them wait till snack time. I feel that he is always saying "I'm hungry." He always has access to food, there is always snacks set out for him and he helps himself to the fruit bowl whenever he wants. I feel he could be consuming more calories, but you can't make a child eat. Any ideas??
#2 of 3 Old 03-17-2013, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

that sucks mama...maybe it's time to make separate meals????? i know...pain. if he say's he's hungry then maybe he really is...........how about fat/protein smoothies?????

sorry i don't have much advice but hope someone else will.

#3 of 3 Old 03-17-2013, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think it's time to see a dietician/nutritionist for advice.  Good luck!

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page