CVS to start monitoring employees weight - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-22-2013, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/03/22/cvs-wants-workers-weight-body-fat-and-glucose-levels.html

irked.gif

"... Employers are responding to mounting <insurance> costs by mandating employees disclose information about their health such as weight, fat, and glucose. CVS is one such business that will begin requiring this information, with a penalty fee of $50 per month for noncompliance.

CVS Caremark, which has 200,000 employees, told all workers who use the company insurance plan to have a doctor determine their weight, height, body fat, blood pressure and glucose and fasting lipid levels by May 1, the Boston 

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#2 of 6 Old 03-22-2013, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

There is a petition at change.org.  I don't think these things do any good, but here is the link: http://www.change.org/petitions/cvs-caremark-pharmacies-stop-requiring-employees-to-turn-over-their-private-medical-information

#3 of 6 Old 03-24-2013, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sadly, I think this is just the beginning of this sort of thing. Shouldn't this be under HIPPA?

bftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif  novaxnoIRC.gifmom to 1 DD (4/13) luxlove.gif

#4 of 6 Old 03-24-2013, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I also think we will see more of this, unfortunately.

I'm not sure it will help, but I signed the petition, sent an email to CVS customer service, and canceled my CVS care account.

#5 of 6 Old 03-28-2013, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm all for it. 

There is an incredible problem with obesity in this country and, until people are hit where it really matters to them - their bank accounts - it is only going to continue worsening.  Insurance costs are going through the roof and employers that help shoulder the insurance costs (and, the insurance companies, themselves) have every right to watch their bottom line in controlling expenses.

With that increase, health costs continue to rise as everyone helps shoulder the costs for everyone.  I certainly resent helping to pay for someone's health care when it involves their lack of self-control.

I know several people that have health problems that would be considerably lessened or disappear if they would only lose the excess weight they are carrying around.  They are covered by the same insurance we are (through the federal government employee program) and their medical visits are astounding.  Four couples (each of them are overweight) have children that are also overweight (and they are still in grammer school!).  They refuse to acknowledge their weight problems and complain about how bad their own health is and how their children are teased or are being singled-out because they can't do this or that ("They get tired so easily" or "PE is just too hard").  Another generation of obesity is coming upon us rapidly.

I'm 54 and children today (and, too many adults) are overweight in ways that we never saw when I was young.  The overweight child was the unusual one, they were rare.  Now, they are the norm.

If someone doesn't want to have insurance and to share their information, then they have every right to skip the insurance.  But, don't ask for help in paying for their expenses.

I'm sure I'll be royally flamed for this, but that's how I feel. 

#6 of 6 Old 03-28-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 77 Post(s)

Well, I am not going to get into a flame fest (right now, at any rate), but I will say that overweight does not necessarily equal poor health.  

It also looks like they are only targeting obesity.  What about other serious health issues  - such as smoking and alcoholism?  

Targeting only one issue looks has elements of "fattism" that I am uncomfortable with.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page