Antibiotics??? need advice please - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-23-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello 

My 4 yr old unvaxed DS had a cold which turned into an ear infection. After about 6 days with a cold he woke up an ear ache. We took him to Doc and she said he had ear infection and very congested/sinusy. Very Low grade fever on and off.-

She gave us an prescription for amoxicillum if he didn't get better in couple of days.

We put mullein oil in ears and homeopathic drops for pain and lots of fluid, soup, teas, steam and a couple homeopathic remedies.

He was congested with yellow greenish/yellow mucus but not much coming out of nose despite liquids, steam, etc. Also had yellowy discharge coming out of eyes and couldn't breath at night . 

A couple of days later he started having hearing issues.

Went back to doc and one ear cleared up but infection moved to the other one.

We started him on an herbal syrup called Sinupret and it made a big difference- less congestion, drastic change in sleep at night and less eye mucus.

When back to doc again and she said he looked better and ears looked better but said if he still has low grade fever by sunday to give him the antibiotic. Lungs were clear.

A couple of days ago he started coughing a little bit, but not much. 

He has definitely improved but is still fighting this bug.  Today he is ok but still not hearing well, has a low grade fever 99.6/100 and was a little mucusy in one eye upon waking.He is in good spirits and playing and eating lots but still is congested.

I am feeling uneasy about what to do. We have been trying to avoid meds and have worked very hard at his getting better. 
Is it time for the antibiotic?! I don't want to give it to him and mess him up further with the antibiotic and don't even know if it will help him anyway but don't want to be irresponsible either and have this get worse. The fact that he is not hearing well freaks me out too!!!

Just spoke to a neighbor who is a homeopath and he recommended one dose of pulsatilla and to check in a couple of days.

I got his bug now too for the last few days! Mine is milder.

Thanks very much!!!!! :)
#2 of 12 Old 03-23-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Nobody has had a similar experience?

Feeling  confused :-(

Thanks

#3 of 12 Old 03-23-2013, 03:32 PM

Call your doctor or go to another pedi to get second opinion. You are asking bunch of lay people about anitbiotics.

I would be very concern about hearing loss

#4 of 12 Old 03-23-2013, 03:55 PM

Make sure he's getting lots of fluids. I tend to give echinacea tea to boost the immune system.
#5 of 12 Old 03-23-2013, 04:03 PM

I'd find out if oil of oregano could be given to children (and if so, how?) it's really strong stuff but a great natural antibiotic. 

#6 of 12 Old 03-23-2013, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Considering it has been more than a week with fever and hearing difficulties I would start the antibiotics immediately. I wouldn't want to risk permanent hearing loss.
#7 of 12 Old 03-23-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replying!

#8 of 12 Old 03-23-2013, 11:09 PM

Echinacea  has proven to be useless by many studies and actual bad for people with asthma and pollen allergies.

High doses of oregano oil can build toxic levels of thymol in your liver, kidneys or nervous system and considering no one regulates the dosages of thing sold in the health food stores, I would not give it to the child.

#9 of 12 Old 03-24-2013, 02:01 AM

My youngest had an ear infection recently. After a week of fever on and off, I decided to give him antibiotics. I don't give antibiotics at the first sign of infection. I try to boost their immune system and see if they get better, but a week was as far as my comfort level went.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#10 of 12 Old 03-24-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks-

He is much better-hasn't complained of ear pain for 5 days and is playful and energetic. However he is still a bit congested and has a low grade fever on and off so he is still fighting something?! His hearing is still not 100 %.

I think I will check in with Doc tomorrow.

Phthui5, did your LO get better after the antibiotics?

Had the infection affected their hearing?

Thanks!

#11 of 12 Old 03-24-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

High doses of oregano oil can build toxic levels of thymol in your liver, kidneys or nervous system and considering no one regulates the dosages of thing sold in the health food stores, I would not give it to the child.

Do you know what age or weight it would be safe to give to a child?

I've found since a bottle usually lasts me about a year and then I throw it away, I get a feel for the concentration and can pretty much know how much is safe for myself (haven't made myself sick so far! lol). I know that sounds pretty stupid, but the stuff is really amazing and I'm not one of those people who believe much in herbal medicine.

#12 of 12 Old 03-24-2013, 04:33 PM

The studies of echinacea were on specific species, and at least one of the reseachers still believes in the strength of echinacea, and want to study it further.

If you want to try echinacea, I recommend organic or wild crafted.

Edited to add : I don't know much about oil of oregano, but a little research of the threads here should get you some info on it.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page