Cold Remedies - What Am I Missing? Help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-04-2013, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I am sick for the the sixty thousandth time this year. I am not coping well with it, because I am so tired of being sick. And it's finally starting to get nice out. So far, I've been doing the following - 

- saline rinse/gargle

- rosemary facial steam

- Nivea cold cream on my poor tissue-chapped nose

- onion and garlic-laced chicken noodle soup

- decaf hot tea with honey

What else can I do naturally/home remedy-wise? I know ginger is supposed to help, but I only have dried powder at the moment - would it be effective if I made a baked good with it, or not so much? 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#2 of 13 Old 04-04-2013, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd add lots of vitamin C: citrus fruit and strawberries in particular are great sources as far as I know. In the past even a vit C capsule helped me get through the bugs faster. I'm sorry you're so run down hug.gif. FWIW I've spent the second half of this winter sick as a dog too greensad.gif
#3 of 13 Old 04-05-2013, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

It's purely for symptom relief, but hot water with lemon juice (or hot lemonade) and cayenne works wonders for relieving a stuffy nose and chest. 

hug.gif Hope you feel better soon. 

#4 of 13 Old 04-05-2013, 08:09 AM

Hot baths, possibly with epsom salt & eucalyptus oil.  

Powdered ginger tea is much less delicious than fresh . . . I wouldn't bother.  (much, much less delicious - I have made it before - just make some other tea).

#5 of 13 Old 04-05-2013, 08:15 AM

A spoonful of honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon a few times a day. I like to put mine in a cup and mix them with a little warm water. Do that 2 to 3 times a day.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#6 of 13 Old 04-05-2013, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Above are all great suggestions, but more to the point is why do you keep getting sick??

Have you had your vit D  levels tested? 

Id also be taking organic apple cider vinegar with honey, Lots and Lots of sodium ascorbate (to bowel tolerance), lots and lots of quality probiotics, elderberry syrup, astruglus and Id be eating garlic gloves like mad :)

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#7 of 13 Old 04-05-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

Above are all great suggestions, but more to the point is why do you keep getting sick??

Just bad luck this year - everyone in our area has had colds/flu on and off for months; major super bug getting passed back and forth relentlessly. 

Thanks for the suggestions everyone; I'm hoping I can get back on the mend this weekend.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#8 of 13 Old 04-09-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Just bad luck this year - everyone in our area has had colds/flu on and off for months; major super bug getting passed back and forth relentlessly. 

Thanks for the suggestions everyone; I'm hoping I can get back on the mend this weekend.

I hear what you are saying - but I think this is only part of the picture in terms of getting sick. This is purely my opinion, but I believe that the condition of the host (you) plays a huge role in illness - not just exposure. So I would look at your diet. Are you eating alot of processed foods or sugar? Are you getting enough sleep? are you stressed out about things in your life? What are your vitamin D levels. If they are under 60, they are too low IMO. Anyway just something to consider. Hope you are feelings much better winky.gif

Mirzam likes this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#9 of 13 Old 04-10-2013, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

I hear what you are saying - but I think this is only part of the picture in terms of getting sick. This is purely my opinion, but I believe that the condition of the host (you) plays a huge role in illness - not just exposure. So I would look at your diet. Are you eating alot of processed foods or sugar? Are you getting enough sleep? are you stressed out about things in your life? What are your vitamin D levels. If they are under 60, they are too low IMO. Anyway just something to consider. Hope you are feelings much better winky.gif

We don't eat processed foods, I get a fine amount of sleep and I'm not overly stressed about anything - really just kind of the luck of the draw this year. Thanks anyway. 

#10 of 13 Old 04-12-2013, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)

I would consider adding zinc to the above…….

I find the dry air of artificial heating does not help things.  You could try misting the air with water.  i just use a spray bottle, but some people use a humidifier.

I crack open windows at the first opportunity.  Something about fresh air just helps me feel good.

If you are sick of being sick, you might be able to cut exposure to people, temporarily.    Some of this depends on your lifestyle - but being in huge crowds is sometimes optional.  You could also become vigilant about hand washing - I am not saying you aren't (I just know for years I wasn't).  I was tired of my youngest getting sick and I stepped up the hand washing regime and it did seem to cut down on things.  We know the the chances of people getting the flu is cut in half by proper and regular handwashing - I imagine a cold is similar.   

Get well!

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#11 of 13 Old 04-12-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I would consider adding zinc to the above…….

I find the dry air of artificial heating does not help things.  You could try misting the air with water.  i just use a spray bottle, but some people use a humidifier.

I crack open windows at the first opportunity.  Something about fresh air just helps me feel good.

If you are sick of being sick, you might be able to cut exposure to people, temporarily.    Some of this depends on your lifestyle - but being in huge crowds is sometimes optional.  You could also become vigilant about hand washing - I am not saying you aren't (I just know for years I wasn't).  I was tired of my youngest getting sick and I stepped up the hand washing regime and it did seem to cut down on things.  We know the the chances of people getting the flu is cut in half by proper and regular handwashing - I imagine a cold is similar.   

Get well!

Since it's been a little warmer, we have started cracking the windows a little bit, and the fresh air is nice. At the very least, the house feels less stagnant. And we have stepped up the hand washing - typically I'll just wash my hands after bathroom visits, handling food, blowing nose, etc., but lately I've started washing my hands every few hours as well, and I think it's helped. 

Does anyone have advice about humidifiers though? Every humidifier we use ends up riddled with mold within a few months, even if we use distilled water and empty and clean it frequently. Not sure how to keep them functioning without becoming mold havens...

#12 of 13 Old 04-15-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Since it's been a little warmer, we have started cracking the windows a little bit, and the fresh air is nice. At the very least, the house feels less stagnant. And we have stepped up the hand washing - typically I'll just wash my hands after bathroom visits, handling food, blowing nose, etc., but lately I've started washing my hands every few hours as well, and I think it's helped. 

Does anyone have advice about humidifiers though? Every humidifier we use ends up riddled with mold within a few months, even if we use distilled water and empty and clean it frequently. Not sure how to keep them functioning without becoming mold havens...

We use an ultrasonic filterless one. Anyone I have used with a filter gets gross. We have this one: http://www.soap.com/p/pure-guardian-digital-ultrasonic-midsize-humidifier-300216?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_S&utm_term=ZQC-826&utm_campaign=GoogleAW&CAWELAID=1323208998&utm_content=pla&adtype=pla&cagpspn=pla

and have had no issues with mold. As long as we clean it regularly, its been fine. Also the Crane ones that are shaped liked animals have been fine too as long as they are cleaned weekly and the water dumped out daily, we had had no issues

#13 of 13 Old 04-15-2013, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

If you are not breast feeding I like to make thyme tea.  (thyme will dry up breast milk very effectively)  1 tsp dried thyme or 1 Tbsp fresh thyme for each 8 oz of water.  Steep for 10 minutes.  I like to add mint and honey for a better flavor.  I make 1 quart each day in a canning jar and drink it throughout the day.  It helps when I have a sinus infection, runny nose, cough . . . all that good stuff.  There's a write-up on this page from an herbalist that I trust:  http://www.henriettesherbal.com/faqs/medi-3-12-cough.html

If you are breast feeding I would make Echinacea/Ginger/Licorice tea.  2 parts Echinacea/ 1/2 part ginger (or cinnamon!)/ 1/2 part licorice root.  Mix dry ingredients together and then put 4 tsp into a non-aluminum pot and cover with 1 quart cold water.  Bring to a boil.  Turn down heat and gently simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.  Strain and drink throughout day.

I use lanolin on my nose when it's sore . . . and my kids found out that cloth hankies are a LOT softer on the nose than paper tissues.  I tried it and they were right!  I cut up an old receiving blanket and dh's old t-shirt so I had enough to get through 2 days before washing them.

: )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page