How hard should it be to keep my blood sugar stable? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-20-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

I ask because I feel like, for a normal healthy adult, I have to work way too hard at this.  The other day, for instance, I ate lunch around 1.  It was, admittedly, a lower protein lunch of pita chips with homemade spinach-artichoke-cream cheese dip and an apple.  4:00, we're at the grocery store, and I feel like I wouldn't even be safe to drive home without picking up a packet of chocolate trail mix at the register.  I cram it in, but the jitters continue, and then I can't help but just cram food in my face to try to make the dizzy, jittery, head-swimmy feeling stop.  So, I know I need to eat about every 3 hours, and include a good amount of protein/fat at my meal to keep this from happening, but...isn't that weird?  Should I really have to try that hard?  I mean, disaster strikes if I haven't a snack by 11:30 a.m.  Um, is that...normal?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No. I would definitely get evaluated if I were you. That sounds like more than mild hypoglycemia. I think that completely cutting out refined starches & sweeteners (sugar, but also honey, maple syrup, etc. and probably even fruit) can help the body restore its natural blood sugar control mechanisms, regardless of any additional treatments, should they be necessary.

I hope you start to feel better soon!

Old 04-21-2013, 02:22 PM

It really does sound like hypoglycemia. I've been dealing with the same thing for years. The one thing that helps me is having protein snacks every couple of hours. Goodluck smile.gif

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
Old 04-21-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.  I'm not so glad that I have to find a doctor to get things checked out, but I am pretty glad to hear that this doesn't sound normal.  Normal just shouldn't be quite so difficult!  I've been having other weird food/emotional issues, too, and I have to wonder if something got out of whack when I was pregnant with DD (now 3).  I had mild GD that I thought that was resolved, but something just doesn't seem quite right.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sativarain1 View Post

It really does sound like hypoglycemia. I've been dealing with the same thing for years. The one thing that helps me is having protein snacks every couple of hours. Goodluck smile.gif

What do you generally do if you let your blood sugar get too low?  I feel like it takes such a long time for me to feel normal again, and my natural inclination is to continually eat to get the weird feelings to stop.  I wish I knew how to relieve the symptoms more quickly.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:32 PM

Ginger and cinnamon both help to keep blood sugar stable. Once blood sugar has gotten low, fruit juice should give you a quicker recovery, as it requires less digestion. But your blood sugar will drop again, so pair it with something else, like carbs, to keep it from dropping quickly, until you can eat protein.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 PM

Eggs work very quickly to stabilize my sugar. I basically eat lots of protein every 3 hours or I am shaky, weak and very sleepy. Another quick pick-me-up is a peanut butter and grated cheddar on wheat bread. Sounds weird but I love the combination. If I eat alot of sugar, it makes me very sleepy afterwards and extremely shaky.

I try to stay away from white bread and potatoes.

I have no idea what all this means. I tested my sugar for a few days and it was at pre diabetic levels so I changed to eating lots of protein and veggies and I felt SO much bettet AND I lost weight!

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

Ginger and cinnamon both help to keep blood sugar stable. Once blood sugar has gotten low, fruit juice should give you a quicker recovery, as it requires less digestion. But your blood sugar will drop again, so pair it with something else, like carbs, to keep it from dropping quickly, until you can eat protein.

Revisiting this thread, since I'm still having problems. I didn't see this response before, but thank you. My biggest problem is not being able to predict the drop, since I'm far from hungry still when it happens. Then I try eating the snack I had planned to prevent a crash (I.e. protein, fat), but of course it doesn't help because it's not sugary enough! So I'm almost at the point if keeping candy or soda on hand, which us SO weird. I'll try the juice instead!
Old 07-14-2013, 04:33 PM

Having lived with low blood sugar for years I know how your feeling hug2.gif

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh

Tags
Health Healing
User Tag List