Why do iron supplements cause tooth stains? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-20-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have taken iron supplements in the past, most recently metagenics hemagenics. 

Besides being slightly nauseating it caused stains on my top two teeth. They were easily removed at the dentist. 

Now my practitioner wants me to take it again and I am not really wanting to due to the stains it causes. 

She didn't think that the iron caused the stains, but that it had to do with calcium.  In searching the internet all I can find is that it does cause stains, not why.

Any guesses?

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-23-2013, 09:01 AM

The iron can stain but it needs to get directly on your teeth. I'm assuming you're swallowing the pills, right? Do you have any idea how the iron could have touched your teeth directly (out of pill/capsule)? If not, I'd be thinking of something else. Or could you be refluxing it if you take it before bed?

Side note--I looked at that supplement. I don't like it. It has calcium and copper (both block iron absorption). Can you try Gentle Iron by Solgar instead? Maybe it would eliminate the staining issue too.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 4 Old 04-23-2013, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

I do cut the tablets in sections so that I don't take the whole dose at once. It seems easier on my stomach that way. I just swallow it right down though, so I don't think it would get on my teeth.

The practitioner I see muscle tested me for that one...she uses a lot of metagenics products. I think I am going to try it again and see what happens. Thanks for the rec on the solgar one. I should bring that one and get tested with it next time. 

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
#4 of 4 Old 04-23-2013, 07:00 PM

I just got back from dentist cleaning& she removed my iron stains. I was taking floradix before i got pregnant & now much less staining without it. She said the stains sortof grow &attract bacteria even if its not always harmful. I am wondering about what to do if i need to take more iron later so i dont take the liquid again, but theres also iron in my new herbal.tea.

Tags
Health Healing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page