Red / flushed cheeks in 4 y/o - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-21-2013, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I worry a lot about health related stuff & therefore have a very difficult time discerning what really warrants a visit to the doctor & what doesn't. I'm hoping for some even-headed insight.

My son gets red or flushed very easily on his cheeks & the bridge of his nose. Sometimes the skin also gets a bit bumpy. It happens in reaction to heat & cold, playing hard, etc. I haven't kept track of whether it also happens in reaction to certain foods.

Last year about this time DS had blood work done due to frequent bloody noses. Everything came back normal. The ENT suggested that his capillaries inside the nose may be close to the surface & very sensitive.

The nose bleeds have been better this year. A lot less frequent.

My gut tells me that similar to his nose, DS just has sensitive skin & will outgrow the red cheeks. He was bruising easily (but only after trauma, no unexplained bruising) last year & his bloodwork was normal. He still gets bruises but not as bad.

I don't want to make DS get more bloodwork if he doesn't have to. Dr. saw the cheeks & wasn't concerned at the last check up.

Do I call her to let her know DS is still expeiencing the red cheeks?

I look at the Internet & see all these scary symptoms & diagnoses. I don't want to miss anything but I know I tend to overreact.

What would you do?

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#2 of 3 Old 04-23-2013, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think you need to take him in. It sounds like eczema to me. Are you using anything on it? He might also just flush easily but I think you're describing something that sticks around, right?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 3 Old 04-23-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thank you, sbgrace, so much for your response!

I was absolutely leaning toward not taking him in but yesterday it got much worse & didn't dissipate at all from the time he woke up yesterday & was even more pronounced this morning. I called the doctor first thing this morning & she saw him & thinks it is erysipelas (a strep infection of the skin). Yikes!

He had step throat about 4 weeks ago & she thinks he was susceptible to a slight different strain because of it. She's seen a few cases in our area recently. We're waiting on the test but filling the prescription for antibiotics just in case. Our doc is good & doesn't prescribe them lightly - she even told us she hated to have to prescribe them again & to up his probiotic intake.

Ugh! I hate to give more antibiotics but I'd be even more worried about messing with a strep infection!! I'm glad we took him in.

I think that's the worst part about having anxiety around medical issues - it makes listening to your gut a bit difficult.

Mama to my little busy bee. 

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page