Strep: alternatives to abx? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-26-2013, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We use herbal remedies in this family... Except for strep. I've had so much fear instilled in me (I have rheumatoid arthritis from a strep infection as a child). But my kids are prone to it -- they get strep a few times a year. And the antibiotics make them sick for weeks afterward.

I try to avoid strep by zinc supplementation. It helps, but they still get it. Is there any way to cure strep safely besides abx? Grapefruit seed extract didn't do it, but I'm open to any other suggestions, or ways to prevent the infections in the first place.

Thanks.

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

#2 of 8 Old 04-26-2013, 05:22 AM

My ds is just getting over it. I actually finally went with amoxicillin because the poor boy was missing so much school. Even then it took a few days for that to work. Looking back, I would have tried natural longer.

Before I've used silver, garlic and Vitamin d.

I was told just taking a bottle of peppermint oil and sniffing it works. Idk

This time I was using all the above plus honey, then I stopped everything and I started vitamins a, c, and e plus probiotics with amoxicillin and he's better.

Ive also had on guard essential oil going in the difusser.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#3 of 8 Old 04-26-2013, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Same boat. My son has now had strep A twice & we've gone in for the antibiotics.

He ran a fever the first time but not the second & the second time was only a rash (dx as erysipelas but could also be scarlet fever). If it hadn't been the second infection I'd probably have stuck with a natural approach. It sucks doing abx again!

So we're supplementing with vitamins c & d, a multi, & probiotics.

Good luck whichever route you choose OP! It's been a rough strep season this year!

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#4 of 8 Old 04-28-2013, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If you can get a hold of Dr. Mendelsohn's book, How to Raise a Healthy Child, he has a very good section on Strept Throat infection.
#5 of 8 Old 04-29-2013, 06:16 AM

That sounds like a good book to buy. Thanks, my poor son is still on amoxicillin because they say to take it for 10 days and now he sounds like he's getting croup! As soon as he's off the amoxicillin I'll start in on garlic and silver again.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#6 of 8 Old 04-29-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah see, that's what I hate about abx.  They get sick with other stuff while they're on it.

Thanks for all the recommendations, folks.  I actually do own that book!  I read it years ago, but my mind is a sieve.  Will pick it up again and check out the strep section.

100%, do you use the diffuser often?  I thought about getting one last year.  Some people swear by essential oils for spectrum disorders (my son is mildly autistic) but others have told me they think they're useless.  

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

#7 of 8 Old 05-13-2013, 01:30 PM

Another idea is to look at supporting your children's immune system. Echinacea is a wonderful and safe herb for children. Herb Pharm does have a Children's Echinacea that tastes great as it is made from glycerine and  is flavored with a bit of orange essential oil. If there is a time of year that your children tend to be susceptible, then you can  use the Echinacea during that time to help support healthy immune function* and also during acute situations. Working with a practitioner such as a Naturopathic pediatrician could be very helpful as well,

Autumn at Herb Pharm

#8 of 8 Old 05-13-2013, 02:44 PM

Lookingup, I use the diffuser mostly when I have sick kids. I should use it more often, but I don't. I do use oils without the diffuser though.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page