Scary cough that won't go away in 2 and 7 year olds-pertussis? (unvaxed kids) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-29-2013, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just don't know what to do. I'm looking for help in treating my kids for a very nasty, unending cough. It started over a month ago with my 7 year old. He is prone to coughs and they always go away eventually, but this one won't quit. It was going on all night long, so I took him into the Dr. after 3 weeks. He was diagnosed with a sinus infection and given antibiotics. After he finished those, the coughing eased up during the day and stopped at night-until last night, when it started up again. He finished his abx about a week ago. He has no other symptoms. DH noticed that last night DS1 was gasping for breath (exactly the sound my DS2 is making at night). He also still coughs during the day, but it sounds like a normal cough at that time.

DS2 started coughing mildly around a month or so after DS1 started. It increased to the point where now he is vomiting at the end of his coughing spells every night within an hour of going to bed. The past 2 nights he's thrown up a lot. The vomiting is at the end of a coughing spell. DS2 coughs a few times, gasps (sounds like a whoop), repeats a few times, them vomits (which includes food and mucus). It leaves him shaken and upset. He wakes up several times throughout the night, but the other coughing bouts aren't as bad as the first. He can go for hours during the day without coughing at all, and never as badly as he does at night. Although, he does hunch over and spit-I think he is trying to spit out mucus he is coughing up. I've taken him in to the Dr. several times over the past week. I've seen 3 different ones, and they all seemed unconcerned. The consensus is that it's probably a cold, because his nasal passages are swollen and his chest sounds a little junky. They prescribed abx, which he has finished. The Dr. didn't tell me, and I didn't know that if the kids have pertussis, that the abx do jack squat at getting rid of it. One doc said it could be a pertussis-like virus that was going around a few years back. None seemed to really think it is pertussis (I don't know why), but they did not hear DS2 cough.

I've just been told to use a humidifier, vicks vapo rub, and incline DS2's mattress. I've done that, and it didn't help. I'm having a hard time finding info on home remedies I should be doing. Giving my DS2 medicine is pure hell. He has to be completely restrained, and his throat massaged to force him to swallow and not spit it out. So I won't give him honey or or other stuff unless it's likely it would really help. We do have Vit D drops, though, which would be easy. Can someone suggest some things we can do that would help? I've been so panicked over these damn coughs for weeks now. We live in the Twin Cities and are just coming off of a hellish 6 month winter. I can't take my toddler anywhere while he's ill like this. I am incredibly depressed over the thought that we will miss an entire summer and go into winter again without being able to leave the house. And nighttime and nap time are absolute hell with no end in sight. My kids are getting worse, not better, and doctors are no help. Has anyone BTDT or have advice for me?

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-29-2013, 07:27 PM

It does sound like pertussis, to me, but it could be some other bacteria or virus.   If it's pertussis, by this point, they are not contagious anymore. If you can work with a homeopath, there are many remedies for all different coughs, regardless if it is pertussis or not. The diagnosis doesn't matter- homeopathically. I have treated my own son and others and it eases things greatly and can cut the duration of the cough.  Also, it is so much easier to take a remedy than cough syrups, etc... and you can also just put it in water. It's so great for kids in that way. 

I can't suggest any specific remedy, because they are so dependent on the individual and the characteristics of his or her symptoms.  I'm happy to answer any questions you have though, either on this thread or via PM. 

Herbally, you could make up some nice teas with licorice, marshmallow, mullein... elderberry syrups, echinacea. All those good things to support the immune system while it is mounting this effort. 

_Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child_ is a great book that covers many different ailments and gives a range of treatments, from conventional to herbal, homeopathic and more. It's a great resource to have around for sure. 

Good luck, I hope you are able to find some elements that bring some relief- for your kids *and* you! 

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#3 of 4 Old 04-30-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! Funny thing about herbal remedies...I studied herbalism for years when I was younger. DH and I actually met while students at a school in CA. I made all sorts of wonderful and tasty remedies that I thought for sure would be perfect to give my (at that point) future children. Then DS1 came along and was sick all the time. It made no sense at all. Herbal remedies did absolutely nothing and he hated them anyway, so I eventually abandoned using them altogether. DS2 is downright combative when it comes to any type of medicine, so he only gets necessary Dr. prescriptions. We also don't do homeopathy because DH thinks it's a waste of money. I may try to sneak it in someday, to see if it helps with anything, though :)

I took both kids to yet another Dr. appointment yesterday and finally got more than the "It's just a cold" routine. I had them x-rayed for pneumonia (negative) and they got pertussis nasal swabs. I kind of regret doing that to them, it was quite painful. "Nasal swab" sounds so innocuous. They should call it a "Sinus swab." Also, I am doubtful about how accurate it will be, since my kids already finished antibiotics. DS2 was given a prescription for steroids to help his cough. It wasn't quite as bad last night (no vomiting).

I think I will try the teas with my 7 year old, since he will drink them. Thank you for reminding me which ones I should be using :)

Pertussis (if that's indeed what this is) is quite frightening. I cannot imagine a tiny baby with it :(

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
#4 of 4 Old 05-07-2013, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaMoo View Post

Thanks for the reply! Funny thing about herbal remedies...I studied herbalism for years when I was younger. DH and I actually met while students at a school in CA. I made all sorts of wonderful and tasty remedies that I thought for sure would be perfect to give my (at that point) future children. Then DS1 came along and was sick all the time. It made no sense at all. Herbal remedies did absolutely nothing and he hated them anyway, so I eventually abandoned using them altogether. DS2 is downright combative when it comes to any type of medicine, so he only gets necessary Dr. prescriptions. We also don't do homeopathy because DH thinks it's a waste of money. I may try to sneak it in someday, to see if it helps with anything, though :)

I took both kids to yet another Dr. appointment yesterday and finally got more than the "It's just a cold" routine. I had them x-rayed for pneumonia (negative) and they got pertussis nasal swabs. I kind of regret doing that to them, it was quite painful. "Nasal swab" sounds so innocuous. They should call it a "Sinus swab." Also, I am doubtful about how accurate it will be, since my kids already finished antibiotics. DS2 was given a prescription for steroids to help his cough. It wasn't quite as bad last night (no vomiting).

I think I will try the teas with my 7 year old, since he will drink them. Thank you for reminding me which ones I should be using :)

Pertussis (if that's indeed what this is) is quite frightening. I cannot imagine a tiny baby with it :(

Dose both children to bowel tolerance with sodium ascorbate. If it is pertussis, it will be like night and day. If it isn't, it will still help and cannot hurt. You must dose to bowel tolerance to get the benefit. Start with 300mg/2.2pounds of body weight in divided doses over the course of 24 hours. If there is no sign of the poops, increase dose by 100mg each dose until you hit the right one, than back off a tad and there you have it. As they improve you will need to adjust the dose. Here is more complete info http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/2012/09/07/vitamin-c-for-whooping-cough-updated-edition-suzanne-humphries-md/

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page