Rosemary tea ok for kids? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-02-2013, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son has a real hard time focusing and so I looked online to see what would help. Rosemary was nail on  so I brewed myself some and gave a cup to my 7 yr old son. The website said it was fine and the poison line said it was fine( the hosp. said to call them go figure) anyway I just want to know is anyone else giving their child the tea and what amount are you giving. Thanks in Advance! :)

#2 of 3 Old 05-06-2013, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Rosemary is one of the most potent herbs. I personally wouldn't give it to a child nor do I use it much in my home, even for cleaning. I think it's bad for the kidneys.

For your son's concentration problems, perhaps you could consider that concentration is a skill. If you look into mindfulness and meditative disciplines, they all describe concentration or focus and being a state of relaxation, not stimulation. Maybe your son need more sleep and some training in this regard through reading, storytelling, constructive play (such as building a model or drawing or writing) rather than simply unregulated stimulation.

Best wishes

Puma

#3 of 3 Old 05-13-2013, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Shunee,
Rosemary is a wonderful and quite safe herb when used whole. In the new Botanical Safety Handbook it is listed as a Class 1 herb (the  safest category).  As you know, it is quite strong in flavor and is most often used as a culinary spice or in an herbal extract for therapeutic uses and not so much as a tea - due to the taste.  Using a small amount for your son should be fine, say 1/2 teaspoon per cup of water, 1 cup a day. Another herb that has traditionally been used by yogis in India - and now is becoming more popular in the U.S. to help with concentration - is Bacopa. It is very appropriate for children and has a mild flavor. Here at Herb Pharm we sell it as a liquid extract and the dosage for a child is 1 drop per 4 lbs of body weight. Of course it's a good idea to  speak with a practitioner skilled in working with children, herbs, lifestyle etc… to see if there are any other factors involved here.  Best to you and your son,
Autumn

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page